Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Trying to figure out how to word this *UPDATE: I changed my mind*

I now have 3 kids with flu like symptoms and fevers absent from my in home daycare. For the first time in 9 yrs I'm thinking about closing down tomorrow to decontaminate. I have two infants in the daycare ( one of them my own only 7 weeks) and one with an infant sibling at home.

Its in my policies that I may have to shut down to decontaminate and that payment is still required for this day.
It sucks for the parents who's kids aren't sick. But I could be saving them more days in the long run because if I , DH, my kids or their kids get sick the daycare will have to be closed for a lot longer than one day!

Will you help me word this? I will probably call everyone tonight but I'm also putting on the website calendar with email alerts sent out. Thanks!

UPDATE: Ive decided to stay open. I am planning on sending an email warning the parents of the illness and a reminder of the policies: 24 hrs must pass before returning after the last diarreha or vomitng episode. And 24 hrs must pass before returning after the fever has broken WITHOUT fever reducing meds. Can you help me word this? Thanks!

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-19):
Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM
So why don't you do that for Friday and him have three days to do it then? Plus send the chickens blankets and sheets home with them. Make their parents wash their own child's stuff. When DS was in daycare we got his sheet and blanket every other weekend. If they had kids sick or lice, we would get it during the week to wash extra. O

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Ok I just rep read what you posted. Desanitizing is a major task. That is why I take a day. Plus it will prevent kids from coming sick.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

24 hrs may be too late. I clean up after the kids all day but I want to do a deep clean which means bleaching every toy, washing their nap time blankets and pillows and so forth. This can't be all done when they are here. Plus if they are carrying or coming down with it the sanitizing is useless.

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Shouldn't you give like 24 hours notice for that and why can't you clean it after the children are picked up?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romanceparty4u
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around why you'd have to close to sanitize. This can be done after they leave, and ready the next day. Hospitals and nursing homes don't "close to sanitize". In either case, I would not expect a parent to pay for a service I didn't render, regardless of how your contract reads.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM
They are paying for a spot. If I didn't require payment for absenses I wouldn't be able to afford to do daycare.

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

I think this is pretty good! 

But can I ask why you still require payment for that day when you're not going to be taking care of their kids? Just curious....

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

Dear Parents and or Guardians,

As cold season is coming to an end it seems

many have been afflicted later than normal. Per policy given to you during your initial enrollment I will be closing down on _____ to deep clean and sterilize. Very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause for you at this time.

(Include written policy so you don't have to state they still have to pay)

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM
It was actually suggested by my state licensor. I put in 10-12 hr daycare days. I have a family to take care of as well. At the end of my day I pretty much have about 3 hrs for clean up, dinner and my family.( yes i go to bed around 9) I don't let the daycare completely consume our lives.
I'm going to do a deep clean. That means bleaching every single toy. And much more. I feel this should be done on daycare time Again I have a family and a life outside daycare. . This is discussed prior to signing the policies and contract. If anyone doesn't agree they can go elsewhere. I've never had a problem before since I'm pretty much.open when everyone else closes. Besides I'm awesome and quality daycare is hard to find around here. My parents are greatful.to have me and they let me know it!
Its funny, I don't remember asking if I thought this was fair or not. Oh well

Quoting romanceparty4u:

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around why you'd have to close to sanitize. This can be done after they leave, and ready the next day. Hospitals and nursing homes don't "close to sanitize". In either case, I would not expect a parent to pay for a service I didn't render, regardless of how your contract reads.

a06z08mama
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Actually in the hospital I work at. We shut down a room to deep clean after a RSV, MRSA, VRE, C.Diff or any other infectious super bug. So yes as an in home daycare provider I would think you should be allowed to do so too.
mommy2zbg
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM

my goes to to an in-home daycare... he has been sick with the flu within the last couple of weeks... He got it from one of the kdis at daycare. He was out sick for a whole week and I still have to pay. It's just part of the daycares policy. For example, my daycare is closed Good Friday and I will have to pay the full price as if they were still open. I don't like the idea but you gotta do what you gotta do...

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I'm afraid kids will come down with the flu in the meantime. They come to daycare fine and next thing you know they are laying on the carpet with a fever. I feel like the germs are everywhere. I have one that came back today and she is sneezing everywhere.

I wash everything here because the nap time sleeping bags and pillows are mine. I did this on purpose a few years ago because parents would often forget to wash.and return. I've learned through experience! I have reasons for everything. I've learned the hard way

Quoting Jennyanne322:

So why don't you do that for Friday and him have three days to do it then? Plus send the chickens blankets and sheets home with them. Make their parents wash their own child's stuff. When DS was in daycare we got his sheet and blanket every other weekend. If they had kids sick or lice, we would get it during the week to wash extra. O

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Ok I just rep read what you posted. Desanitizing is a major task. That is why I take a day. Plus it will prevent kids from coming sick.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

24 hrs may be too late. I clean up after the kids all day but I want to do a deep clean which means bleaching every toy, washing their nap time blankets and pillows and so forth. This can't be all done when they are here. Plus if they are carrying or coming down with it the sanitizing is useless.

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Shouldn't you give like 24 hours notice for that and why can't you clean it after the children are picked up?

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM
This is why I'm thinking of closing. One day.is better than a week!

Quoting mommy2zbg:

my goes to to an in-home daycare... he has been sick with the flu within the last couple of weeks... He got it from one of the kdis at daycare. He was out sick for a whole week and I still have to pay. It's just part of the daycares policy. For example, my daycare is closed Good Friday and I will have to pay the full price as if they were still open. I don't like the idea but you gotta do what you gotta do...

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN