Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My DD

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 20 Replies

My 4yo DD is going deaf. We are in the begining stages of diagnoses and I feel overwhelmed. 

I do not see this as a tradgety but I am saddened for the things that she will now miss. The sound of our voices. Me singing lullabyes. Her brothers laugh. The moos of our cows. 

I am just sad

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsRinehart2010
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM

no chance she can use a hearing aid?

I dnt know about every ones situations but in my case I wont be able to use one once I lose my hearing completly eventually. I cant hear in my left ear now but I still have my right ear. mine is due to the same of my ear drum and trauma .

Hopefully there is options for her , my cusin was able to have surgry to restore her s most the way atleast.

proudmommy690
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
:( how sad. Im so sorry
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM

hugs 

RedMom755
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Hopefully she will be able to use a hearing aid and have some relief. I know that on the scale of things that can happen to my child going deaf is very low on the terrible level, I just wasn't prepared.

My DH is moderately hearing impared and so we thought that this might be an issue at birth. DD passed her initial hearing test and so we thought things were fine. 

Over the last 2 months we noticed signs of hearing loss. It is just happening so quickly. I feel the need to talk as much as I can so that she doesnt forget the sound of my voice. 

I want her to hear how much I love her. 

Schaiswife09
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
This is just awful :( I will be praying for your dd.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I raised a granddaughter with nerve deafness. We first noticed when she was 3, and at that time she was completely deaf in left ear, and had normal hearing in right. By the time she started kindergarten, she had lost 50% of the right ear. It is sad, but we never treated her like she was handicapped. The school was wonderful, and the newer hearing aids are so much better than what she had back then. I'm sending you a friend request, feel free to message me anytime.hugs

belindah
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Hi.  Is there any possible way of having laser surgery? Or maybe being able to have transplant from a donor?

RedMom755
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Quoting belindah:

Hi.  Is there any possible way of having laser surgery? Or maybe being able to have transplant from a donor?

She does not have nerve damage, she is missing part of her cochlea so surgery is not an option nor is any type of donor. Hopefully with hearing aids and prayers she will have a pretty average life
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Big hugs hon,
Hoping hearing aids will help :)

belindah
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Will definately keep your family in my prayers

Quoting RedMom755: in

Quoting belindah:

She does not have nerve damage, she is missing part of her cochlea so surgery is not an option nor is any type of donor. Hopefully with hearing aids and prayers she will have a pretty average life

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN