Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How would you respond to this

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:24 PM
  • 10 Replies

We were at Toys R Us and we went to pay for our purchase, we went to the one with the light on and no one was there. I was talking to my daughter when the employee came to ring us up and he was a little person, and my daughter (3.5) asked me if he was a kid. I was very embarassed but I said no sweetie he is an adult. How do you respond to children when they say something "rude" but not knowing any better?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChefFatCat
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM

lmao kids say some of the damn'st things,    just say he is a little person, or you could of ask him which he likes to be called so your not being rude & your also teaching her to ask "Q"'s which is a good thing!! 

I remeber my little girl doing the same thing when she met a friend of mine who is in fact a midget he was only 2'8 tall lol.. he was really cool about it all... & he love the fact that I told her he was part of the little people, & he also love it when I told her to ask about it.... he was never mad 

he said that was pretty cool lol.. 

krista778
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

When my dd asked that of someone I just told her that people come in all different shapes and sizes. She accepted it and we went on.

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

It was an innocent question. Like my daughter is baffled by kids( teenagers) that shop alone. She asks people if they have kids all the time. I guess in her world everyone should have kids and doesnt grasp why people dont. I taught her to always ask questions. Just have a simple talk with her with simple words, everyone is different in their own way

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Oh I don't even what to say what mine has asked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by I Ate The Rainbow on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM
I think you handled it great. When we left I would have gone into detail.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I did explain it to her. 

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Kitty2012
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM

If the adult doesn't feel offended I would ask him or her to explain to her why he or she is that she would understand that people are different because of sickness that happens and make them that way but they are still normal and that they are just the same as others only sick.

Snoopybaby11
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM

My 6 yr old has a knack for pointing out differences in people. None of my other kids have done this but he ALWAYS does. One time in the store there was a man with one leg and he was yelling "mom look look he has a broke leg!!!" I try to explain to him that everyone has somthing about them thats different but some peoples differences are more noticable then others. We shouldnt stare and if we have questions we should wait until later to ask because we might hurt someones feelings on accident

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

SissyAnn141
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Quoting krista778:

When my dd asked that of someone I just told her that people come in all different shapes and sizes. She accepted it and we went on.

Exactly just answer the question, and Do it a "AS A MATTER OF FACT".

My son said "This to a man is a wheel Chair", the man just kept going, but "I told my on, apparently, he legs are hurt or he can not walk, and left it at that, and he did."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)