Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM And dh job is ending

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 10:27 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hi Ladies, It's been a long day my husband came home today and told me his job will be gone by 7-31  I am not upset as of yet ......my dh is a pilot and makes very good money(or did) and I found out today that unemployment caps off at $520 a week compared to the $3000 he was bringing home a week so needless to say I am in need of a job I was wondering if any of you ladies work in nursing homes and if so how do you get in.......my friend worked in nursing homes and did the changing diapers and bathing and all that fun stuff :{ and was wondering if anyone new what certificates I would need to start in this type of field( I haven't asked her yet because she"s on vacation) but would really appreciate any input  TIA  Lara
by on May. 4, 2007 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
paigesmom6
by on May. 4, 2007 at 10:33 PM
hey there you can be a CNA  alot of times at least here in new york the nursing homes will pay you to take the class...but you can look into CNA courses. hope this helps!
ljsmamma07
by on May. 4, 2007 at 10:33 PM
i dont work in a nursing home but i work in a hospital as a aid and i was trained by the hospital with no expirence needed.i started out at like 8 something and now i make alittle over 12 with shift diff.you might want to check your hospitals.i think that they pay more and arnt as bad.(i have heard some horror stories about nh)good luck.
BizNurse
by on May. 4, 2007 at 10:35 PM
Laura, most LTC facilities/ nursing homes require a certified medical assistant, but some even allow OJT for that....

Call them and see.... stressing that you love patient care.....

Linda/CMAS, BS, RN
AOL and YAHOO IM - TxBizNurse
Kinsey3
by on May. 4, 2007 at 10:36 PM
Well I dont know what state you live in but I live in kansas and all I did was go to the vocational school in my town (thats where the class is at) and found out when the class started and how much. Which here was like 300 dollars. All I had to do was take a month long class which was very easy and then you take the state test which was also very easy. And what I went to school for  was my CNA liscense. ( Certified Nurses Aide) and that is where at a nursing home you dress residents, feed them, and take them to the bathroom at certain times during the day. Depending the shift you work depends on what you do with the residents. I enjoyed it and the residents were so great. Also I dont know if the nursing home you would work at would do this but I got paid back the money I paid for class after I got my license so I would ask about that. If you have any other questions I would be happy to help.
twinmommy27
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2007 at 10:39 PM

Quoting BizNurse:

Laura, most LTC facilities/ nursing homes require a certified medical assistant, but some even allow OJT for that....

Call them and see.... stressing that you love patient care.....

Linda/CMAS, BS, RN
AOL and YAHOO IM - TxBizNurse

Sorry I feel stupid what is an OJT? is that on job training???
heatherbug82
by on May. 4, 2007 at 10:39 PM
If you don't mind doing that kind of work then go for it!! Around here in PA and back home in FL ( which in FL theres a nursing home on every corner ) they actually have the classes at the nursing homes for you to becaome a CNA. And I think you get to work while your learning. You might want to look in to the pay scale though. I know everywhere is different, but here in PA CNAs only make like $9 an hour.......Good Luck!!!
twinmommy27
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2007 at 10:45 PM

Quoting heatherbug82:

If you don't mind doing that kind of work then go for it!! Around here in PA and back home in FL ( which in FL theres a nursing home on every corner ) they actually have the classes at the nursing homes for you to becaome a CNA. And I think you get to work while your learning. You might want to look in to the pay scale though. I know everywhere is different, but here in PA CNAs only make like $9 an hour.......Good Luck!!!

Thanks I live in PA $ 9.00 an hour is that like 9-5 because I want to work like 11-7 so I can take kids to school and be home when the girls get back from school.........I hear that if you work night shift you can make more .......does that sound right???..................I hope I won't mind that kind of work but w/ the hours I'm looking for it seems like the only way to go........I do really enjoy older people and have visited my DH"s grandparents in there and vowed if I ever did that line of work I would be nicer and more helpful then those I've seen                                                                                                                  
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)