Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Waiting until after college to concieve

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 47 Replies
Why is it that so many moms on here advise that (poor) women wait until after they have graduated college and started a career to have another baby? What is easier about ttc while holding down a career. I just don't understand, wouldn't it be harder? Work is 5 plus days a week and college is 2-3 days each week, maybe even part time for some. It's a lighter time commitment. Can't a boss fire you if you are pregnant? How would that whole scenario even work?

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

You can't be fired for being pregnant. If you have an education, yes, you may have to work, and if you have to work, maybe having a kid isn't a smart move just then, but at least you can provide for your family, and have an education to fall back on. My husband and I didn't start ttc until after I graduated, and yes, I was working, but I would have been able to stop working, had I wanted to. 

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Exactly. If you have a degree and have started your career, you're more likely to be making more money than you were while you were in college or before college. It isn't the end of the world, though, to work while pregnant. Women do it every day. ;)

Quoting jojo_star:

You can't be fired for being pregnant. If you have an education, yes, you may have to work, and if you have to work, maybe having a kid isn't a smart move just then, but at least you can provide for your family, and have an education to fall back on. My husband and I didn't start ttc until after I graduated, and yes, I was working, but I would have been able to stop working, had I wanted to. 

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I can see getting that degree being important to not put off. however you will never have $ for kids, if you wait you won't ever really have kids LOL! Then there is the school debt that needs paid back in most cases. There is no one way for anyone, but I think getting school done would be adviseable. it's probably easier to work and pay a sitter then school and no income and pay a sitter. harder to study with kids too. you can't get FIRED for being preggo it's illegal. :)

Momma2Be135
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM

wEll im college and ttc because my parents are older and i don't know how much longer they will live to see me have children.fingers crossed

im_not_trollin
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM
4 moms liked this

I think it's more about letting yourself actually have a life of your own before you go off and have kids and families....

Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this
Without a degree you are more likely to have a dead end job and need PA. So most people feel that people should wait till they finish their degree and find a career that makes money to support the family they intend to have, then to have the government/tax payers pay for it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RobinBright
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM
5 moms liked this

I think it is pretty obvious.... it is much easier to earn a degree and attain some marketable job skills without children than it is with them.  Even people who plan to be stay at home parents should have education and job experience to fall back on, never knowing what the future may hold.  Circumstances change, partners' employment can change, finances change, needs change.... Having kids without a way to support them is foolish at best.

CSMama3
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Often when you have a job that requires a degree you have better insurance, pay and maternity leave options if you plan to go back to work.
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I think in an ideal situation it is best to go to college and finish plus have some work experience before starting a family. That's not everyone's plan obviously and there are also oops babies but I do think its the best financial decision.
lilbit53009
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM

i don't know. i've never been without a job since i was 16 so i couldn't imagine not having a job and working towards a career. i got pregnant with our son my last semester of college taking full time classes and working full time. i walked across the stage 6 months pregnant and then started my career with the company i was already at. 

i wouldn't have wanted to pregnant any earlier than i did because i knew it would have been harder to finish college with a baby. and then who would watch the baby while i was in class. if i wasn't working then i wouldn't have been able to pay for child care. 

where we live it's nearly impossible for a family to survive off 1 salary unless it's a 6 figure one. so i would never fathom being a SAHM (as nice as it sounds to me lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)