Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Waiting until after college to concieve

Posted by   + Show Post
Why is it that so many moms on here advise that (poor) women wait until after they have graduated college and started a career to have another baby? What is easier about ttc while holding down a career. I just don't understand, wouldn't it be harder? Work is 5 plus days a week and college is 2-3 days each week, maybe even part time for some. It's a lighter time commitment. Can't a boss fire you if you are pregnant? How would that whole scenario even work?

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Replies (11-20):
happinessforyou
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Do you really not get this?

TheDoctorsWife
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM

So that you can support your family...

TheDoctorsWife
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM

And BTW, life isn't suppose to be easy

Mcelly
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes finish College. Even if you don't ever work, a well educated mamma is better than a HS graduate helping her kids with homework. Plus if you donhave to work, at least you'll have a degree.

LavenderMom23
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Let's just say, I never did get the kind of family that sat you down and explained things or even answered my questions ever with an actual answer. When I talk with my parents they just shrug and say there's never one path for anyone. So no, I really haven't been taught.
Quoting happinessforyou:

Do you really not get this?

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I was in school three days a week spring quarter and then 5 days a week summer quarter in 2011. 

You cannot be fired for being pregnant.

If you have a college degree or a trade you can make more money than with a high school diploma or GED.  It'd be somewhat easier providing for a family then relying on the government or having to work dead end minimum wage jobs to get by.

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this

waiting until I had my education sure made it easier to take care of my children without relying on public aid and handouts, when my ex filed for divorce. This ain't rocket science, get educated and prepared to support the children you've given birth to. Regardless of your gender.

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You and your children should take precendence, not your folk's ability to see your unborn children. That should be the least of your concern.

Quoting Momma2Be135:

wEll im college and ttc because my parents are older and i don't know how much longer they will live to see me have children.fingers crossed

jconney80
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM
It's best to get your education out of the way. It's hard to go to school when you have children and much easier to do without them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Josie_P
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM
I think it would be much harder to have kids and be in school also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)