Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What do you think of old houses?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • 67 Replies

Poll

Question: Old houses?

Options:

Love them

Hate them

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 93

View Results

I absolutely love older houses. Like 100 or more years older. I find them so charming and interesting. We are looking into moving and one house that we are looking at was built in 1910. It is beautiful. Some of the inside pictures that I have seen so far need updated, ugly wallpaper/carpet for example. We haven't seen the house personally yet.

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2KIL
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Love them. The charm and woodwork in some of the older ones is amazing. The fireplaces are really cool too. I think they can be awesome, but I worry about it becoming a money pit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Allebas
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I cannot stand old houses!! IMO, they are creepy! My mom showed me the house she lived in as a child. I almost threw up I felt so sick sitting there in the car looking at her old house. Her mom died in the house when my mom was only 9-years-old. :(  Once we drove away from the house, the bad feelings I had, went totally away! I've had the same thing happen when I was at my BFF's house! It was so creepy! It was a haunted house! Her DH was home by himself, and was upstairs. He heard water running downstairs, and went down to find the faucet turned on! He turned it off and went back upstairs. Within 10 minutes, the water was back on downstairs! Needless to say, they moved OUT of that house when their lease was up!!

LoveMyLos
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Love!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I love our older house. It was built in 1926, and it's been well maintained.

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Love them if they maintained well.

PaganKitty67
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I am not worried about ghosts as long as they aren't negative. I have lived in haunted houses in the past and it's not so bad. Just get a little creeped out for a bit then everything is fine. I have had someone knock on my bedroom door when no one was there, footsteps on stairs, radio turn on by itself, felt presences watching me/standing behind me/coming into my room, seeing something out of the corner of my eye, doorbell ringing when no one was there.

Quoting Allebas:

I cannot stand old houses!! IMO, they are creepy! My mom showed me the house she lived in as a child. I almost threw up I felt so sick sitting there in the car looking at her old house. Her mom died in the house when my mom was only 9-years-old. :(  Once we drove away from the house, the bad feelings I had, went totally away! I've had the same thing happen when I was at my BFF's house! It was so creepy! It was a haunted house! Her DH was home by himself, and was upstairs. He heard water running downstairs, and went down to find the faucet turned on! He turned it off and went back upstairs. Within 10 minutes, the water was back on downstairs! Needless to say, they moved OUT of that house when their lease was up!!

PaganKitty67
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I get so sad when I see an old house falling apart. We went to look at a house yesterday. It was extremely low priced so we weren't expecting much of it just wanted to see it. It was just awful. I could see how it was once beautiful but now it was basically trashed. Roof caving in, cracks all through the house walls/ceiling. Paint pealing, dead birds. It was gross.

Quoting godsgirl26:

Love them if they maintained well.

ttfnt20
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I love them! I especially like to explore if I can and just get the feel of the house. I actually live in an old farm house....no idea how old it is though. Wish I did lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaPaparazza
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I live them but I always think people died in them :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheDoctorsWife
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I like them for the most part.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)