Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Teachers tell kids.......No best friends allowed!

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 21 Replies

No best friends allowed

Teachers in some primary schools around the UK are banning children from having best friends and telling them to play in groups instead.

Should best friends be banned?

Teachers in some primary schools around the UK are banning children from having best friends and telling them to play in groups instead.

The idea behind it, is that it stops children building very close bonds which can cause havoc in school when ‘best friends’ break up. By playing in larger groups it is thought that children are saved the pain of splitting up from their best friends if they argue or fall out.

However some people argue that it is important for children to experience the ups and downs of relationships and making and breaking friendships prepares them for life and helps them develop life skills.

Children questioned about their thoughts on the topic said best friends were like their family and made school a good place to be. Many also commented that they had more than one best friend but liked playing with lots of different people and not just their ‘best friends’.

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

That's crazy!My daughter's best friends from her class are like sisters to her.One day they may have a falling out but isn't it natural to go through things like that?It's going to happen one day! 

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Sounds like religious orders. no "particular " friends
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TAG_ur_it
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this

so, in other words, they're discouraging children from learning to form normal human relationships.  no, that won't go horribly wrong when they're older.  smh. 

elliotmommytobe
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM
No matter ehat the schools do they cant stop them from getting along with one person really well and they cant control who they invite over to their house
Mom2MikeynLando
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM

My little guy is 6, and for a while would only play with certain friends (in particular, a little boy who the teacher warned us about his behavior) until a few weeks ago I guess when a lightbulb went off that he could have other friends.  A his age I do believe its best to have many different friends.  He needs to kinda see what others offer.  He has a personality of being very outgoing but doesn't want to hurt people.  

LilliesValley
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:40 PM
That's part of life. Why shield them for something they will experience later? Better to give them the skills now of being and having friends.
jojo_star
by Jojo on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:40 PM

That's nuts. Kids need to have best friends, and sometimes, those friends do need to break up, for whatever reason. It's part of growing up.

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM

That is stupid.

bebe_ju-rah
by I Ate The Rainbow on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I can see banning the term
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)