Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

usually dont come here...but need advice.

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
  • 15 Replies

my son is 3. he is the typical boy,,.. but to me it goes FAR worse. he destroys everything. i cant take a shower if he is awake. i cant even go to the bathroom!!

there has been a good 2-3 weeks on going, where atleast 1-2 times a week he does something.

he wakes up in the middle of the night and gets out of hischild lock door, from what i can guess, unless his sister forgets to shut it (they share a room)

minor things like the wipes, silverware all over, food all over, etc...

he has so far to ruined his carpet. from dish wash soap (that was locked up) tooth paste all over carpet, coloring on the carpet with markers, his sisters lip gloss in carpet. today it was hot chocolate packets, and nail polish ALL OVER on wall, in carpet, on  wood of the bed. (and his nail polish was a good 7 feet up in a cabnit)

i think this is a huge behavior issue...and i dont know what else to do.

ive taken stuff away, time out, spanked his bottom and nothing works.

i put a call out to his doctor but i need REAL advice too...help :(

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chaslee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Can you put one of those sensor strips on the door that sounds an alarm to wake you up?  That's about all i've got.  Sorry.

CoastieWifey83
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM

My dd is the same way. She just turned 4. She is finally getting it that she is not allowed to destroy things but she still does sometimes. She has dumped out salt everywhere, gotten into the shampoo, drew with marker on the carpet and her bedspread, the walls, you name it. DS never did this. We have no idea why she does it but thank God its not so bad anymore!

kelliamber006
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM

i got the call back from the nurse, she told me "well i will send you info on how to discipline" UGH WTF :(

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like a case of the terrible 2s... at 3!

He may not be trying to cause trouble but rather curious and playing.

When my kids were doing stuff like this (and all 3 of them did!), I just kept a closer eye on them - didn't give them the opportunity to get into what they weren't supposed to touch and make a mess.  I think it's kind of normal for kids to get into stuff they're not supposed to get into and they don't realize that they're permanently damaging a rug or a wall. 

Even as they're older (my youngest is 6), I still know that when they're out of sight for too long, I'll usually find a big mess - cushions all over the floor, toy baskets dumped over, board games out and pieces everywhere, etc...

Redirecting him to use finger paints and make a mess in a way that's ok would probably be best...and keeping a closer eye on him so he doesn't have the opportunity to make a big mess where he shouldn't may help.

Good luck! ;)

dylansmom08
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Basically he is testing his limits right now and seems to be winning but that can change. What you have to do is figure out one descipline and stick with it. For my son time out worked yes at first it is not going to seem like you are getting anywhere  it took almost six months for my son to understand time out. You just have to stay consistant and make a set of rules and stick with them. It is easy to say "No don't do that" but that is not enough you have to really break it down for them and tell them why they are not to do something and what will happen when and if they do it. For example say he is trying to get into an off limits cabinet, you have to get down on his level look him in the eyes and firmly say, "No you do not go in there, if you go in there you will go in time out." At that point it is up to him to continue or stop if he continues do not say a word just pick him up take him to time out spot and sit him down. Again get down on his level and say, "You are in time out because you got into the cabinet after you were told not to" make him stay in time out 3 minutes even if this means having to continue to put him back in time out. Everytime he gets up start time over it is hard, it is frustrating but it can be done with lots of patience and determination. Good Luck momma

kelliamber006
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

when i am around, he knows not to touch anything. he knows not to do the stuff. but its when i turn my back, he is right away destroying everything

Quoting dylansmom08:

Basically he is testing his limits right now and seems to be winning but that can change. What you have to do is figure out one descipline and stick with it. For my son time out worked yes at first it is not going to seem like you are getting anywhere  it took almost six months for my son to understand time out. You just have to stay consistant and make a set of rules and stick with them. It is easy to say "No don't do that" but that is not enough you have to really break it down for them and tell them why they are not to do something and what will happen when and if they do it. For example say he is trying to get into an off limits cabinet, you have to get down on his level look him in the eyes and firmly say, "No you do not go in there, if you go in there you will go in time out." At that point it is up to him to continue or stop if he continues do not say a word just pick him up take him to time out spot and sit him down. Again get down on his level and say, "You are in time out because you got into the cabinet after you were told not to" make him stay in time out 3 minutes even if this means having to continue to put him back in time out. Everytime he gets up start time over it is hard, it is frustrating but it can be done with lots of patience and determination. Good Luck momma

BeccaMathes85
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I have a three year old daughter that did the same thing and i got tired of cleaning up her mess so I started to make her help me (not easy to do but you have to keep on him) she is learning that with every mess she makes she has to clean it up. she is making fewer messes now! give it a shot and see how that works for you! If he does not want to help make him sit in the corner till your done give him the option to either help or sit in time out till your done.

romanceparty4u
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

your boy has nail polish?

Bottom line, good housekeeping with child locks to keep them out of stuff. If this means you have to lock your refrigerator, so be it.

Snoopybaby11
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Ugh Im sorry :/ I know how frustrating is! I dont really have much advice, I have an almost 5 yr old who does things like that..If you take ALL the right precautions (child locks etc.) and discipline consistently but it still doesnt help Id call the dr again and demand you talk with her/him. Does he do anything else youd consider "different" or "bad"?

SageAdvice
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

he's only 3 , next comes the... what the f*ck fours.

Have fun lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN