Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is your DH (or you) a 'Garbage Man?'

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 11 Replies

DH is getting out of the Army at the end of the year. He wanted to go to school for something that seems pretty risky in getting a job in that field, and uncle/cousin own a disposal company and basically just offered him a job as a garbage truck driver. He just said if he went to school it would be a huge risk but if he was a garbage man he would feel like he'd just given up. 

How does your DH like being a garbage man. I can't imagine it's a pretty job, obviously, but do they hate it? Any insight is helpful.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Purple_Pixie
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM
My dh was, depending on the company it can be good money. Dh is now in glass but looking at going back to doing trash again. He made more money there. The company was bought out by a big company. Dh didn't go with because they wanted to reduce his pay.
Now my dad has been a trash truck driver for over 20 years and makes a nice wage ($23.00 hr). Dh keeps his cdl and dot up to date since they cost us a lot for him to get.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Quoting Purple_Pixie:

My dh was, depending on the company it can be good money. Dh is now in glass but looking at going back to doing trash again. He made more money there. The company was bought out by a big company. Dh didn't go with because they wanted to reduce his pay.
Now my dad has been a trash truck driver for over 20 years and makes a nice wage ($23.00 hr). Dh keeps his cdl and dot up to date since they cost us a lot for him to get.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM

bump. there's got to be more people in disposal on this site than just one family!

JTROX
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM

My husband  was a garbage man when we first met, and continued in that position for a couple of more years.  He says it was a nasty job, but that it wasthe most fun job he ever had.  He worked for a small business that did mainly rural areas.  He ran routes with his brother and a friend.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Thanks so much =]

Quoting JTROX:

My husband  was a garbage man when we first met, and continued in that position for a couple of more years.  He says it was a nasty job, but that it wasthe most fun job he ever had.  He worked for a small business that did mainly rural areas.  He ran routes with his brother and a friend.

Retrokitty
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I don't know anyone go has buy apparently they make awesome money. The ones around here are owned by the city though and city workers always make good money.
loving.life
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM
High risk employment does not sound ideal. But i agree he should not settle on driving forever. Maybe take the trash job but do some night school. Really for employability and low risk... business classes are a good investment in yourself. Gl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norwgnwood
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1. Its a job. Maybe not the prettiest job but someone has to do it. No shame in that at all.
2. I hear it pays pretty well and leaves time for going back to school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChloeDolce1
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Why can't he take the job for now while going to school part time?
nurse1997
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Garbage men make good money  do both until hes finished with school and see if he can then land a job of his dreams at least than you have food on the table

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN