Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does anyone else's child do this?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 12 Replies
Anytime my 6 year old son has a cough/cold or even when he gets really upset and starts to cry, he gets so worked up that he makes himself gag and choke and many times will make himself puke. He will also break out in these little red spots all over his face that stick around for a couple days. Once he calms down he is exhausted and just wants to curl up with a blanket and sleep. Is this typical or should I be worried? Do other kids have this same problem? I feel like maybe there is something wrong with his lungs. He has a history of croup and gets it at least once a year. He also had pretty bad reflux as a baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM

DD doesnt get that way but i have as a child and even now if i get too upset, i will get sick like that.  The red spots are most likely broken blood vessels from the strain of coughing or being upset.

Terra3
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I've done research about the red spots and you're right about the broken blood vessels. I just worry because this happens all the time. He did it again this morning because he was upset about reading his book so now he's missing school because he's exhausted from getting so upset and has the spots all over his face as well as a cough.

Quoting frndlyfn:

DD doesnt get that way but i have as a child and even now if i get too upset, i will get sick like that.  The red spots are most likely broken blood vessels from the strain of coughing or being upset.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM

With the croup, does he have a history of allergies or hayfever?   Could he be getting upset just so he doesnt go to school?  It may be smart to have him looked over by a doctor to make sure nothing else is going on.   Coughing or facial splotches doesnt give our dd a day off .  She will go to school unless there is a fever or vomiting.   I will shoot her teacher an email telling her about any complaints dd has like a headache or feeling tired.

Quoting Terra3:

I've done research about the red spots and you're right about the broken blood vessels. I just worry because this happens all the time. He did it again this morning because he was upset about reading his book so now he's missing school because he's exhausted from getting so upset and has the spots all over his face as well as a cough.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Terra3
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM
He doesn't have any allergies. Occasionally he will have a little seasonal allergies but nothing extreme that he has ever needed medication for. And I don't think he did it so he could stay home, he wanted to go to school and even walked all the way to the bus stop before I made the decision that he was staying home. He started crying again and getting worked up when I told him he was staying home, but eventually calmed down and agreed he should stay since he was so worked up and couldn't stop coughing. And typically I do make him go to school and his teacher knows he breaks out in these spots when he gets upset. The biggest reason I kept him home today was because he couldn't stop coughing and was gagging because he was coughing so hard and because I could tell by the look on his face that he was exhausted. He's currently sleeping on the couch. I think I will have him checked out by a doctor just to be sure nothing else is going on.

Quoting frndlyfn:

With the croup, does he have a history of allergies or hayfever?   Could he be getting upset just so he doesnt go to school?  It may be smart to have him looked over by a doctor to make sure nothing else is going on.   Coughing or facial splotches doesnt give our dd a day off .  She will go to school unless there is a fever or vomiting.   I will shoot her teacher an email telling her about any complaints dd has like a headache or feeling tired.

Quoting Terra3:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Well yeah except it's me and Im nearly 35! If I get really mad or sad, I have to vomit and sometime it is so violent a reaction that I break so many blood vessels in my face that Im freckled for days afterwards. My eldest is showing a possibility of following me in that regard as well though Im note sure if hers is more of a learned behavior seeing it happen to me.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

DD had that horrible cough and ended up staying home for a week last year due to an upper respiratory infection.   The whole school seemed to have the horrible cough and the exhaustion that comes with not being able to breathe.

Erna2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

All of my kids did this when they were little. So, of course I think it's normal....

ashiilolo
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

My 4 year somewhat does it. Except her red blotches go away after about an hour. She was upset at school one day and cried. The admins called me to tell me she broke out in hives all over her face. Worried me like crazy all the way to her school. So im guessing it doesnt happen to many people since the school admin didn't know what was going on.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM

HUGS..And I'd take him in just to be sure..

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM
My son has a sensitive gag reflex. If he has a runny nose from allergies he sometimes throws up in the morning from all the stuff running down his throat. He still goes to school though because he would miss half of the year when his allergies are acting up otherwise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN