Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

90% of these children DIED from the flu this year!

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 34 Replies

CDC: 105 US children died this flu season

Friday March 22, 2013 11:30 AM

By MIKE STOBBE

The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - Health officials say the flu season is winding down, and it has killed 105 children - about the average toll.

The flu season started earlier than usual and ended up being moderately severe.

Roughly 100 children die in an average flu season. One exception was the swine flu pandemic of 2009-2010, when 348 children died.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported the latest number Friday.

The CDC said 90 percent of the children who died had not been vaccinated. This year's vaccine didn't work very well in older people, but was considered effective in children.

Health officials say children 6 months and older should be vaccinated each year, but usually only about half get a flu shot or nasal spray.

___

Online:

CDC flu: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/index.htm

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelay87
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

:( that's sad....

wayward_redhead
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM
5 moms liked this

So conclusion, you'll die if you don't get the flu shot that is full of poisons, that you only need because of the environment and industries full of poisons.  Got it.

angelay87
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM

kind of a lose/lose situation huh?

Quoting wayward_redhead:

So conclusion, you'll die if you don't get the flu shot that is full of poisons, that you only need because of the environment and industries full of poisons.  Got it.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM

No, in conclusion, if you ask the mother's of those who died and weren't vaxed for the flu, they probably wished they had at least tried it. And those who did get the vax and still got the flu and died, probably wished they had not got the vax.

Quoting wayward_redhead:

matofour
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM
5 moms liked this
Did it mention that those who died probably already had some type of immune compromised issue. And that out of those 105 children who died, many had issues which make getting any sickness a life or death situation.
Rarely does a totally healthy child die from the flu. Rarely.

Quoting momdoes:

No, in conclusion, if you ask the mother's of those who died and weren't vaxed for the flu, they probably wished they had at least tried it. And those who did get the vax and still got the flu and died, probably wished they had not got the vax.

Quoting wayward_redhead:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

What I posted did not mention that. I dont know if the CDC did or not. Did you see such infomation somewhere?

Quoting matofour:

Did it mention that those who died probably already had some type of immune compromised issue. And that out of those 105 children who died, many had issues which make getting any sickness a life or death situation.

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting wayward_redhead:

Lizard_Lina
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM
The only year my daughter got a flu vax she got the flu.
Yellowlily333
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

That is terribly sad. However think, 105 out of the millions who got the flu. i think it is safe to assume, these were children who already had weak immune systems. :(

matofour
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Of course it's probably not on the CDC. Their job Is to scare you into the vax.

I don't have the numbers. Because it doesn't worry me.

But, it's common sense. Kids who are immune compromised are the ones who die from these easily treatable illness, like flu, chicken pox, etc.

Quoting momdoes:

What I posted did not mention that. I dont know if the CDC did or not. Did you see such infomation somewhere?

Quoting matofour:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting wayward_redhead:

Kmary
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM
2 moms liked this

First off,  your title makes no sense.  90% of those kids didn't die from the flu.  100% of those 105 kids died from the flu.  Also, HIPPA regulations prevent them from reporting any underlying health conditions that those kids most likely had.  My cousin's child technically passed away from the flu this past December, so I suppose he's one of those statistics.  But what those stats won't tell you is that my poor sweet cousin was severely multiply handicapped and had a very weak, compromised immune system.  He had been hospitalized many times for things as simple as a cold.  The vaccine probably would've done more harm than good for him anyway and sadly, his life expectancy was around 10 years old (which was his age at his death). 

I generally have my kids get the flu shot, but it's VERY important to know all the facts and read between the lines.  Most normal, healthy kids can handle the flu just fine without the vaccine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)