Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can divorce actually be good for your kids?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
  • 54 Replies

Do you think divorce can actually be good for your kids?

Do you think couples should avoid divorce when they have young kids?

punching

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HaleyCovington
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM
4 moms liked this
It's not good for children to see their parents fighting all the time either. I don't think divorce is ever a "good" thing but some times it is necessary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM
2 moms liked this

If you're screaming and fighting in front of your kids all the time.. Yeah, divorce is far better for them.

Even if you don't scream and fight directly in front of them, they can sense the discomfort in the air.  There definitely hits a point where the pain of divorce isn't as strong as the pain of an unhappy home.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Divorce is never an "ideal" situation but personally I think kids are MUCH better off seeing 2 happy divorced parents than 2 parents in a miserable relationship holding it together for the kids. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I think in many cases divorce is a necessary bad thing.   I would never encourage a person to stay with their abuser in a marriage due having young children.

MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:13 PM
I agree.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

It's not good for children to see their parents fighting all the time either. I don't think divorce is ever a "good" thing but some times it is necessary.
raefmom
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I have heard from friends that wished their parents divorced instead of living in misery. It all depends on the situation. 

cLanief
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Yes divorce can be good. At least it was in many ways for my son. He got a better mom out of it for one. He started actually talking... he calmed down all around actually.
EvaTheDiva29
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

im a firm believe that staying just for the kids is ridiculous and will only hurt them more in the long run.

wolfybaby
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM

if the relationship between the parents is negative, divorce would probably be best for the childs well being. its very difficult to hide problems, and the stress effects the highly observent child. my daughter is almost 2 and she hasnt been bothered by my husband and i being separated for about 3 months. before, i noticed the stress was really getting to her. and my husband would even treat her poorly after an argument with me. this has been nothing but good for all three of us. my daughter gets to see her dad often, but shes otherwise indifferent about it.

jojo_star
by Jojo on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:52 PM

It depends. If all the kids see at home is arguing, unhappy parents, yelling, fighting, unhappy parents, then a divorce would be better for them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)