Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can divorce actually be good for your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think divorce can actually be good for your kids?

Do you think couples should avoid divorce when they have young kids?

punching

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Replies (21-30):
kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM

It wasn't my mom and biological father but the guy I consider my dad because he helped raise us. But honestly when they divorced I felt relieved. I still am very close to him and my kids call him papa but  I hated living in the house with them towards the end of their marriage. 

Pam74033
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM
My divorce was a good thing for my daughter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM

It would have been better for me if mine had divorced, I can tell you that much. Their miserableness made me miserable.

dallascowboys82
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:31 AM
I strongly believe so, my ex beat me and that was something I never want my kids to ever see again.
Nolanzo
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:38 AM
It sure as hell would have been for me. I begged my mother to leave him for 13 years..
firefly63701
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I've got a perfect example.  The couple across the street from me.  She's blantenly cheating, going on dates on her nights off from work. staying out till early morning hrs.  I had to run over their earlier this week at 11:30pm to keep eye on kids cause he had to leave for work and she wasnt home yet. All the kids are suffering, the girls have withdrawn from her causd they never see her and the dad told me i was more of a mother to their 2 yr than she was now.  I babysit him several times a week.  No ones happy.  In this case it would be better if they split.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I think that when there is abuse in a marriage and the children are around that, that they are exposed to negative role models which can affect who they become as adults. In that situation I think that divorce is the better option, because most of the time marriage counseling will not help the relationship. If there is not abuse, the couple should try to work out their differences and seek help doing so if need be.

mrsjksimmons
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Yes to the first. No to the second. What about two people who are fighting so much they might as well sell tickets? Or the spouse who's getting the crap beat out of them? I think people have to think about how their behavior is affecting their kids.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:46 AM

divorc is hard on kids... really hard, but there are definately times when it is the better option for the kids... and the parents too. It is never ideal... but it can be the lesser of 2 evils. does that make sense

fenders35
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I totally agree ..I know I was a much  happier 11 yr old when my parents finally divorced (they had broke up  gone back together many times) I even remember making the comment.."whoooo hoooo yay  can I throw a party? I am not saying that  I didnt love both  of my parents or even that they did not love eachother ..they did they loved eachother "too much"  they just could not live in the same household ect  they had a very unhealthy relationship..  they have both since passed on  but loved eachother like crazy until the end..they just thankfully realized that they were better people AND PARENTS apart  then together. (ok I have rambled enoughhave a nice day

Quoting HaleyCovington:

It's not good for children to see their parents fighting all the time either. I don't think divorce is ever a "good" thing but some times it is necessary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)