Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can divorce actually be good for your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think divorce can actually be good for your kids?

Do you think couples should avoid divorce when they have young kids?

punching

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Replies (41-50):
BoxxyBabee
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

my mom and dad beat me. after they divorced, it was just my mom beating me. so thats good..

Rosebud27aj
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I agree 

Quoting HaleyCovington:

It's not good for children to see their parents fighting all the time either. I don't think divorce is ever a "good" thing but some times it is necessary.

trainlady
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM

It can be good for the kids if there is no reconiliation in the cards. If the kids are living in constant stress between the parents then divorce is better for them.

texasmommy125
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Yes, I think divorce can be a good thing, espcially for young kids.  These are the years when they are forming ideas of what relationships look like and if mom and dad can't get along in the same house, it's better for them to be apart and work at visitation.

Of course, not every parent works to make the single / divorced parenting thing work, so I won't say it's universal, but at least the kids know that 1 parent is willing to do what it takes to take care of them.

jenn4443
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM
It was better for my kids.
What wasn't good for them was all the fighting. And when their dad moved 16 hrs away from them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brown-diva
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I am Nigerian,basically frm my part of the world,a divorced woman is perceived as promiscous and is almost as a leper in traditional society. Cos of this,women remain in extremely abusive r/ships and the trend is passed frm mother to daughter. Hell,even the cops advice u to 'pray abt it and be submissive"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brown-diva
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM
But,I believe that if it is not working,walk away. Its not fair on the kids and yourself. Just walk away and get a divorce
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree with everything you said.

Quoting KristenFowles:

If you're screaming and fighting in front of your kids all the time.. Yeah, divorce is far better for them.

Even if you don't scream and fight directly in front of them, they can sense the discomfort in the air.  There definitely hits a point were the pain of divorce isn't as strong as the pain of an unhappy home.

SnapIt
by Movin' on up on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM
If its a toxic environment for the kids, youre better off divorcing. Staying will only teach them to either put up with it or do the same to their future relationships.

You never stay for the kids, you make it better for the kids

Fighting, extensive arguing, abuse, cheating, drugs, brain washing religion, gambling and now extreme gaming should not be a way a life for children to put up and live through.
If you stay and subject them to these things on an everyday basis, its your fault
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM

YIKES, I didn't notice my typo..

Where*

I'll have to go back and edit that..

Quoting natural_s:

Totally agree with everything you said.

Quoting KristenFowles:

If you're screaming and fighting in front of your kids all the time.. Yeah, divorce is far better for them.

Even if you don't scream and fight directly in front of them, they can sense the discomfort in the air.  There definitely hits a point were the pain of divorce isn't as strong as the pain of an unhappy home.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)