Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Apparently he's going to have to starve!

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:34 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am running on empty today! We had DS's well check up at the doctor which of course led to the never ending conversations about Hypoglycemia. We discussed Dom's diet and how often he shows symptoms and this led to the surprise. No matter how much we have altered and controlled his diet it is time for the next step. We now have to cut all sugar from his diet not just processed. This will continue at least until we see the pediatric endocrinologist. 

The real sticking point for DS and I was when we went over his schools lunch menu and realized that he can only have the school lunch 9 out of the 22 days of school in April!

This leads me to you guys. Anyone have lunch ideas that contain absolutely no nuts or sugar? He is in a peanut free school.

Check out the updates from The Asylum!!

http://asylumpeacekeeper.blogspot.com

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommymelissa76
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Yeesh, I have no idea, but Im sure someone can help, so here's a bump!

dommad2
by Tamara on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Thanks, I'm posting in other groups too.

Quoting mommymelissa76:

Yeesh, I have no idea, but Im sure someone can help, so here's a bump!

Check out the updates from The Asylum!!

http://asylumpeacekeeper.blogspot.com

dusky_rose
by Sue on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Can he have other nut butters (not peanut)?

SincerelyMine
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Rice and veggies with a side of baked boneless chicken? Rice cake or air popped popcorn for a snack
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:49 AM
What are you asking? Why cut all sugar if he is hypoglycemic? Hypo means he needs more. Also if he is on a pseudo diabetic diet you may want to think in terms of carbs, not sugar. I'm willing to give suggestions as i have 2 diabetic kids and do meal planning but I'm not sure what the issue is. More or less sugar?
angelay87
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I think the school should be required to provide a meal to a child every day.  Obviously they should know certain children will have different conditions and should be able to accomodate to that.  Hope you can figure things out!

dommad2
by Tamara on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I need to look into them more

Quoting dusky_rose:

Can he have other nut butters (not peanut)?

dommad2
by Tamara on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM
His doctor is cutting all sugar until we see the endocrinologist to save his pancreas. When his body has any sugar his pancreas goes into overdrive producing insulin and then he crashes..

Quoting NDADanceMom:

What are you asking? Why cut all sugar if he is hypoglycemic? Hypo means he needs more. Also if he is on a pseudo diabetic diet you may want to think in terms of carbs, not sugar. I'm willing to give suggestions as i have 2 diabetic kids and do meal planning but I'm not sure what the issue is. More or less sugar?
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I don't have any experience but my kids love egg salad and tuna sandwiches. I would think that on whole grain bread or tortillas that might be OK.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dommad2
by Tamara on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Thanks

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I don't have any experience but my kids love egg salad and tuna sandwiches. I would think that on whole grain bread or tortillas that might be OK.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN