Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any Tucson,Az Mommas?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 22 Replies
Or surrounding area? My SO is wanting to move there to work in the copper mines. He heard about it from a friend of his, I'm concerned because I don't know anybody in AZ period. I am also leery of us just picking up and moving so far away just because his friend is doing it and says its all good. KWIM? How is the city as far as a good place to live? How are the schools? Do you know anything about this job? I have tried googling my questions and I'm receiving negative feedback, so I decided to loom here. Thanks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jess80
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:38 PM
**look**
jess80
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Bump
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I'm in Mesa, about 2 hours away. Do NOT move here during the summer. It's HOT here, like as in 115-120 HOT! Any other questions, just ask.
jess80
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Thanks :-) it would definitely be summer. They keep telling me that it's a dry heat so it's not as bad as our humid heat we have here in AR. I think they are crazy. Hot is hot....

Quoting Junebaby18:

I'm in Mesa, about 2 hours away. Do NOT move here during the summer. It's HOT here, like as in 115-120 HOT! Any other questions, just ask.
jess80
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Do you know anything about the copper mine jobs?

Quoting Junebaby18:

TheMeanestMom
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I Don't know anything about copper mine jobs but I'm not a very big fan of Tuson. It's close to the border and there seems to be higher levels of crime there. It's also a poorly planned city. The schools in general in az are pretty crumby. I'm also in mesa and I've only been to Tuson a few times, so take my opinion for what it's worth lol.
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jess80:

There really is a difference between dry heat and humid heat. Humid heat you stick to yourself when going outside. Dry heat is kind of like dry hot stagnant air.
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Quoting jess80:

No, but I could look it up and ask around about them for you.
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM
There is a place called Rosemont copper mines. I saw two job openings there. One for chief mine engineer and one for senior mine engineer. Both require bachelor degrees and about 5+ years of mining experience. Not sure if that's the type if work he is going to do or not.

You might want to have him come down here and check things out himself before committing to moving before he knows what it's like personally.

Some questions for him to ponder:
Is he able to handle hard labor out in the hot dry heat? Is he ok to go underground and be there for hours on end?

AZ schools are ok. We have free charter schools here that are, IMO, better than public schools. I have also heard, like a pp said, that Tucson isn't a very well thought out city. It is a larger city, and close to the border of Mexico, so it can have a lot of crime... but so can any large city.
jess80
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:06 AM
What is a charter school? Thanks for the info you made some good points I will discuss with him. Ty

Quoting Junebaby18:

There is a place called Rosemont copper mines. I saw two job openings there. One for chief mine engineer and one for senior mine engineer. Both require bachelor degrees and about 5+ years of mining experience. Not sure if that's the type if work he is going to do or not.

You might want to have him come down here and check things out himself before committing to moving before he knows what it's like personally.

Some questions for him to ponder:

Is he able to handle hard labor out in the hot dry heat? Is he ok to go underground and be there for hours on end?

AZ schools are ok. We have free charter schools here that are, IMO, better than public schools. I have also heard, like a pp said, that Tucson isn't a very well thought out city. It is a larger city, and close to the border of Mexico, so it can have a lot of crime... but so can any large city.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)