Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

The Flu and my baby....HELP!

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM
  • 13 Replies
So apparently it was the flu going around in my licensed home daycare. I dont know if you remember but a couole days ago i was considering shutting down to sanitize. Now my dd and my DH have it.And I'm having nausea and major diarrhea. Guess my flu shot didn't work for this one :(
I'm so worried about my 7 week old! I'm nursing so IDK how to go about this. Got any suggestions on how to protect him?!?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Keep nursing him so he gains the antibodies from your body.   Dont cough on him, sneeze etc.  Wash hands before picking him up..  Make sure you drink plenty of water.   If your husband can get to the store, have him pick up smart water for you to drink.  It has the electrolytes without dye, flavor or sweetener.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM
He is worse than I am :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

Keep nursing him so he gains the antibodies from your body.   Dont cough on him, sneeze etc.  Wash hands before picking him up..  Make sure you drink plenty of water.   If your husband can get to the store, have him pick up smart water for you to drink.  It has the electrolytes without dye, flavor or sweetener.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM

the baby or the hubby?  This is why i never get the flu shot.  It does not prevent this years strain, only last years and the years past.  It could also be another bug which is airborne that causes vomiting and diarrhea.  If the baby is vomiting, you may need to get him to doctor for anti nausea meds so he can nurse comfortably,

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Quoting frndlyfn:

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Hubby. Baby seems fine so far

Quoting frndlyfn:

the baby or the hubby?  This is why i never get the flu shot.  It does not prevent this years strain, only last years and the years past.  It could also be another bug which is airborne that causes vomiting and diarrhea.  If the baby is vomiting, you may need to get him to doctor for anti nausea meds so he can nurse comfortably,

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM

whew.  Babies seem to have a really good immune system at this age (thank goodness).   Can anyone else go to store for your family and pick up all the "sick"supplies?  I was sick with a sinus thing and had to go on a powerade diet for 2 days.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Hubby. Baby seems fine so far

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Quoting frndlyfn:

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:17 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Hugs to you hon,

Just keep doing what you're doing with the washing of hands & trying not to cough on/around him
Do keep bf if you can as well.
Hoping he doesn't get it & you all feel better .. Let us know :)

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I will. I threw up once this morning. All the fluids I drank. :/ idk how I'm making milk

Quoting hugss:

Hugs to you hon,

Just keep doing what you're doing with the washing of hands & trying not to cough on/around him

carlyshort
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Well, the flu shot only guards aganistrespiratory flu. If you're vomiting and have diaherra you don't have the flu strains in the shot.

I'm sure your babe will be ok.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:17 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Aww hugs to you & hope you all get well soon :)

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

I will. I threw up once this morning. All the fluids I drank. :/ idk how I'm making milk

Quoting hugss:

Hugs to you hon,

piwife
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM
There is 2 types of flu, stomach and respiratory. You can nurse thru both and nursing will protect baby. Keep nursing on demand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)