Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Car accident

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 8 Replies
Yesterday my hubby was in an accident with our only car, police were involved, it was not his fault and the other driver had a suspended licences which again makes it the other persons fault. I have never done any of this stuff before. I called my insurance and they said I can deal with the other persons insurance or I can report a claim for my insurance and they will go after the other insurance to get my deductiable money back. Now my question, my insurance wants me to take my car somewhere in there network. My friend told me to go get my own quote done and fixed whereever I wanna get it done. How does this work? Does my insruance company write me a check to get it fixed after I lay out my dedutable or how does this work?
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kimber2465
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM

call the other person insurance. they will send out an adjuster to the body shop. get them to look all the damage below and above. now if you do go through your insurance company- ( and with the other) you can take your car to any shop that your company deals with, your company will also send out an adjuster.. when you get it fix- you pay your deductible, the insurance company the body shop. the only time i have ever had a checked cut to me was for very minor damage. if you use your company- they will go after the other guy's for all charges

Mom-3girls-1boy
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Some insurance companies will pay the finance company if you are making payments on the vehicle
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM
^^ that. Don't go through your insurance unless they are uninsured.
nurse1997
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM

THE OITHER DRIVER PROBALLY DONT HAVE ANY INSURANCE AND THAT MEANS YOU HAVE TO GO AFTER THEM IN CIVIL COURT GOOD LUCK WITH THAT - DOES YOUR INSURANCE EVEN COVER NON INSURED DRIVERS ? YES YOU CAN TAKE IT TO THEIR PLACE TO HAVE IT FIXED OR WHERE YOU CHOOSE TO YOU BETTER HOPE  THEY DONT TOTAL IT OUT THAN YOU WILL BE SCREWED ONCE AGAIN CAUSE THEY WILL ONLY GIVE YOU THE BLUE BOOK VALUE - DEPENDS SOME INSURANCE COMPANIES DO IT DIFFERENT IVE HAD THE INSURANCE PAY AT DIFFERENT TIMES BUT NOTHENING WILL HAPPEN UNTIL THE DEDUTABLE IS PAID GOOD LUCK 

HalfPint45
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM

The person  that was at fault they are suppose to send you your deductable because they were at fault. I have been through this before. If you have all the information from the other driver you find out what their insurance company is and give them the information that you have of the other driver and they are suppose to cut you a check for whatever your deductable is. 

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM
They want you to use their shop because its easier for them you are legally entitled to get it fixed wherever. I took mine to the shop they wanted for the damage estimate but that's it.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I f the person who hit you has insurance go through theirs although you might have trouble because he was operating a car illegally and his insurance might have a clause that days his insurance was null and void. if he was operating it outside the law.
kimber2465
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

if they do total your car out- it will depend on how much damage, the miles, cost to fix.  the price ( if you don't owe anything) will also depend on the condition, miles and what other cars like your are selling for in the area(and 200 miles out). if you owe more then what the car is worth- you will have to pay that off- unless you have gap

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)