Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Do you take any? What do you take? I have severe panic attacks. Was given xanax but i felt numb and inhuman and found it didnt work long. Now im on vistril. Its not made for anxietu but does work. Iv found iv had far less panic attacks and ehen i do,it works fast. Anybody take this? I also am on prozac
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
friendlymom5
by Lisa on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:17 AM
ativan
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:44 AM
I use Xanax for flying but that's it, I love that stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM
I use passionflower herb. I was on Zoloft but after a while it was making me into a stupid, giddy teenager at age 48 so I weaned off of it. I take 700 mg. twice a day, more if I'm under unusual stress, anxious or really depressed.
Indianamomto4
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I started having GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) several years ago due to other health issues. I didn't have panic attacks but just overwhelming anxiety all the time. I didn't want to be left alone or to leave my house.

At first my doc gave me xanax which did help but is very addictive and not good to be on long term. She then started me on zoloft 50mg not for depression but for anxiety. It took a full 4 weeks to totally kick in to where I didn't need the xanax at all. I have been on it for 5 years now and since had to raise it twice, due to building up a tolerance over time, first to 100mg. then a year later150mg. which I am still currently on and it totally takes care of the anxiety. I have not had that panicky feeling for a couple years now and have had no problems with side effects. I have even considered going off to see if the GAD has resoved itself but can't stand the thought of dealing with the anxiety again and also currently have a lot of stress so not sure now would be a good time to try that. Hope you find something that helps because anxiety is awful to deal with. Don't get discouraged because it can take some time to find the right med that will work for you, but you can get your life back.

forsakenjewl24
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM

valrian and calm thoughts for me. i think it's the same brand. works great for me. although my anxiety is pretty high right now bc i'm pregnant and not sure if i can take it so when the first comes around i shall know.

Quoting MixedCooke:

I only take an herbal supplement called St Johns Wort, which helps with mild depression and anxiety.  I use it primarily for depression or on days I am feeling tense.  I also take Relora, which is another herbal supplement, which helps block the stress hormone, cortisol.

HandMmom12
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I take Cymbalta for anxiety and OCD. I'm just starting out with it and to be honest, it's kicking my ass. I'm tired, have awful headaches, and sometimes have dizzy spells. These are all side effects that I was cautioned about and I was told in time they would go away. On the plus side, I have lost ten pounds on it. This from cutting out stuff I shouldn't take while on it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM

you know you are pregnant or you think you are and will know by the first?  I remember when I was pregnant and I asked my doc about St Johns Wort, I got the "deer caught in headlights" stare.  There are just too few doctors that follow a holistic approach!

Quoting forsakenjewl24:

valrian and calm thoughts for me. i think it's the same brand. works great for me. although my anxiety is pretty high right now bc i'm pregnant and not sure if i can take it so when the first comes around i shall know.

Quoting MixedCooke:

I only take an herbal supplement called St Johns Wort, which helps with mild depression and anxiety.  I use it primarily for depression or on days I am feeling tense.  I also take Relora, which is another herbal supplement, which helps block the stress hormone, cortisol.

meitaljames
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Here's a technique that used to help me stop a panic attack right when is starts. It's called The 20 second countdown, and here are the instructions: http://www.natural-alternative-therapies.com/how-to-stop-a-panic-attack/

EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I've been on Lamictal & Klonopin for the past 7 years. It takes the edge off and has a lasting effect. However I do take a low dose as I've discovered the higher the dose the more I can't function.

usmclife58
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I take Celexa

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)