Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Eating the Placenta after child birth...

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok so i am watching something on TV and the lady said something about wanting to eat the placenta after giving birth... Have any of you ever done that? What are your thoughs on it? Why would someone do it?

I am not asking this because I am wanting to do it because I am not... I just do not understand the reason behind this lady wanting to do this. 

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GypsiSky
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I'm not into it either, lol... but it's said to have amazing benefits for mom (and baby if she is nursing).

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

From what I've read, the logic is that a) humans are the only mammalian species that doesn't eat the placenta; and b) it's full of nutrients that your body needs after childbirth.

Personally, I didn't find that either of those points made me the least bit interested in eating my placenta. It sounds pretty gross to me. And we have vitamins, now.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I did not and have no desire to.  I believe in some cultures it is good luck to eat it. 

Mommy8118
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Thanks for the information... I still dont want to do it and never have. but i really wish someone that had done it would voice in on this...  It is just something that i have never heard of and I am pregnant with my fourth...

kcangel63
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I have done it for 2 of my births. I've also made it into jerky and a tincture. It helps with baby blues, ppd, pp bleeding, energy levels, and so much more.

I also encapsulate placentas for other moms in my area.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom4awesomekids
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Kindof gross.

mich.el.le
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM

It is amazing for post partum depression, energy levels, lessens pp bleeding,  it helps restore your body's depleted vitamin and mineral stores, etc. I've never done it but I would definitely think about it if I had another child. YOu can get it encapsulated too.

villagemamma
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

my hubby was really insistant with my doctor that he wanted to eat the placenta. hes a big jokester and our hospital didnt allow that so i never got to test to see if he would or not lol. I could NEVER. Just the idea gives me the creeps lol.

michiganmom5150
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I think you dry it and put it in capsules. I have no idea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM

It sounds gross BUT if I would have known about it and the benefits of it when I had both of my children I would have considered it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)