Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Vacuum help, PLEASE!

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM
  • 27 Replies

I am in dire need of a new vacuum and I don't know what to get.  I have had a Kenmore canister vacuum for the better part of 13 years (2 different ones).  Apparently the same thing is going wrong with the current one that broke on my last one.  I have a house with hardwood floors and area carpets, so I need something that's easy on the floors.

ETA - I forgot to mention I have a set of stairs to vacuum.

My questions are:

What brand of vacuum do you have?

What are its pros/cons?

Can you easily vacuum under couches/beds?

Is it to switch between floor vacuuming to the attachments?

TIA:o)

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SareyF
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
We have a Eureka multicyclonic with airspeed technology, hepa filter, all-surface suction plates, and we LOVE it! The material itself seems a little cheap but actually it has held up really well. I think this is, in part, what makes it such an inexpensive vacuum. It is easy to clean and operate. Switching between the floor and hand attachments is as easy as turning a dial.
Their slogan is that it's better than Dyson, for way less.
Bought it at Walmart. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lovemyshadows
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I have a Kirby, expensive but definitely worth it.

elm498
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM

bump

C8linVilla
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM

i got a bissel and I gotta say do NOT get one!! The blades ate up carpet in 2 rooms. (it has amazing suction but thats a bit much but i do have cheapo indoor outdoor carpet) the blade if it gets jammed there is no way to get to it to get it unclogged. I contacted them and they said that was not a issue covered by their 2 year warentee and refused to fix it. then my cord stopped working and again they claimed it was not covered under warentee. Then it stopped having any suction at all! Again not under warentee.!! Worst $300 ive ever spent! I now have a cheap $80 eureka and the suction is twice as good! It does not suck up my carpets as i can put the blade high. The hose is amazing! The suction is strong enough that i put it on my 1 year old sons cheek and after 5 seconds he had a red mark LOL he liked it though. Only bad thing is is that there is no way to make the blade stop spinning. even if its in the upright position the blade spins. for me i have to only use the hose on one room with the horrible carpet and this does not work because i have to lay the vacuum down to not damage it or the carpet and with little kids fingers that is hard to do. but its worth the price and it came with a free car vacuum so cant complain :)

momof4bzN2gz
by Julie on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this
I have the dyson dc41 and it switches easily from tile to carpet and has a button to turn off the brushes on tile and hardwood floors. The hose and plug cord is forever long and I've had it for over 2 years and it still works like the day I got it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
This! I have the dyson animal (not sure which model). It is great! It switches from carpet to hard floors with the push of a button (don't have to turn off the vacuum to switch it!).

Quoting momof4bzN2gz:

I have the dyson dc41 and it switches easily from tile to carpet and has a button to turn off the brushes on tile and hardwood floors. The hose and plug cord is forever long and I've had it for over 2 years and it still works like the day I got it.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I too have the DC 41. 3 cats....7 cockatiels and a dog. LOVE it!;

Quoting jobberwocky:

This! I have the dyson animal (not sure which model). It is great! It switches from carpet to hard floors with the push of a button (don't have to turn off the vacuum to switch it!).

Quoting momof4bzN2gz:

rosie211
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I have the yellow dyson and I love it! I use it on carpet, hard floors, everything. It's got great suction and I have had it for over 5 years, as long as you clean the filters, it works like new. The only  thing I don't like is it doesn't do stairs very well. I am going to invest in a canister dyson soon, only because I have two sets of stairs to vacuum and I am tired of using the wand (which does a great job btw, plus attachments, I can clean under anything like beds, etc.) It is the stairs that give me problems. Really long cord. I would highly recommend you invest in a dyson. I would go through a vacuum every two years but this one is like the energizer bunny, just keeps going and going strong!

bebe_ju-rah
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a shark navigator lift off and I love it. We have hardwood and tile floors
Derari
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Dyson! Excellent capability, canister empties easily, only drawback is the price. I love mine, but I picked it up on a sale and it was still around 650.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN