Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should you clean your kids' bedroom?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:29 AM
  • 73 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I...

Options:

Clean it

Leave it

Toss it

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 61

View Results

My kids are 5 and 10 and have to share a room.  Once every 6 months to a year, I spend 1-2 days completely cleaning their room.  I sort and organize everything into separate bins, boxes and drawers.  (Here comes the aggravating part)  Within a day or two, they empty everything!  I get so frustrated that I refuse to clean it.  Slowly, they will shove some of it into boxes and push it under a bed or into a closet where it sits until my next cleaning spell.  

I have a friend whose son dumps every one of his toy bins just about every week, sometimes multiple times a week and she picks all of it up.  She can't believe how horrible my kids room looks and I can't believe that she doesn't make her boy pick up his own toys.  I have told my kids that the next time I clean their room it will be with garbage bags and everything that I have to pick up will either go to charity or to the dumpster.

Does anyone have thoughts? Advice? Some garbage bags and a shovel?  LOL

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:12 AM
6 moms liked this

have them help you clean it next time brig 3 bins/bags one for trash one for giving away and one for keeping let them pick what goes in each one but give them a limit for what stays... if you want you can also add one for storage. that should help with the clutter and show them how much work it to clean it

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:18 AM
2 moms liked this

I have been having that problem with my dd who turns 7 next week. I told her other than vacuuming and dusting and cleaning her windows I will no longer pick up her room or play room. I am going through it now re organizing and getting it back to normal but the next time It looks like a tornado hit and she does not put things back where they go ( she is a stuffer and I actually just took her sliding closet door off because of it since she broke it ) I will give her a day or two but will be going in there with a trash bag and things will either been thrown away or donated and she will help me.     So far she hasn't made a mess and left it. But we will see.   I also explained to her again that it is much easier to immediately ( or at the end of the day) to put things back where they belong.    

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:24 AM

What have you done to teach them how to clean their own rooms with minimal assistance from you?  It seems like the family is in an all clean or nothing clean frame of mind.

Once a week or as needed (if sooner) I go along with dd and help her straighten things up.  Her downfall is dirty clothing by the bed hidden from view or losing animals behind the bed.

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:29 AM
I like this idea, Ds and I will be doing this soon. He's 3 almost four and he cleans up his own toys every night to every other night depending on how bad the mess is tomorrow is cleaning up the toys day lol.

Quoting ditsyjo:

have them help you clean it next time brig 3 bins/bags one for trash one for giving away and one for keeping let them pick what goes in each one but give them a limit for what stays... if you want you can also add one for storage. that should help with the clutter and show them how much work it to clean it

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:44 AM
My 4 year old cleans his own room. We have chore charts for all the kids and on his list is keeping his room picked up. If he does all his chores gets to put a sticker on the the day and after he gets enough stars(we generally do 30 stickers) he'll get a few options to choose from as a prize(usually things like books, art supplies, movie, and sometimes a small toy). We've had lots of success with it. The older kids get an allowance. We've just recently started a chart for our 2.5 year old twins. They love to help! So to answer the question at 5 and 10 I would not be cleaning their room.
TXbornmama
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:10 AM

I clean my kids rooms when they wont at least twice a week but I throw things out that they leave laying around after I tell them to pick them up.

PinaiAngelPai15
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:18 AM

ODS is 4yo and cleans up his room for the most part.  However he shares a room with DS2 who is 2yo and DD who is 3yo plays in there as well since she shares my room and most of the toys are in the boys' room.  I'll help him clean though.  He's not the only one making the mess.  In fact, DD and DS2 make the most of the mess in there.  DS2 is autistic and DD is a bit developmentally challenged.  Teaching them to help clean has been a bit difficult, and it doesn't help that they're not being taught to clean at their dad's (not even ODS cleans over there).  So I help clean if the room is extreme. lolz.  But like I said... he cleans it for the most part.  If my kids were over 5yo... I'd be pretty upset if they weren't cleaning up after themselves.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Quoting Bookoholic:

I like this idea, Ds and I will be doing this soon. He's 3 almost four and he cleans up his own toys every night to every other night depending on how bad the mess is tomorrow is cleaning up the toys day lol.

Quoting ditsyjo:

we do this about thice a year. it's tough but it clears us out
Cyn38
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:25 AM

I tell them to focus on one thing at a time so that it isn't too overwhelming: barbies, action figures, books, etc.   I have also asked them to pick one section and clear that one space.  They make a little bit of progress over the weekend, but then Monday hits with school (for them), school (for me), work, cooking, cleaning, homework, baths and then bedtime hits and I realize nothing new has been picked up in their room.  If you have some good ideas, I would love to hear them.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What have you done to teach them how to clean their own rooms with minimal assistance from you?  It seems like the family is in an all clean or nothing clean frame of mind.

Once a week or as needed (if sooner) I go along with dd and help her straighten things up.  Her downfall is dirty clothing by the bed hidden from view or losing animals behind the bed.

diegosmom828
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:26 AM
I clean my 5 year old sons bedroom at least once a month and make him pickup his toys daily, he doesn't do that great of a job but as long as they are in his toy bin and not on the floor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN