Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

computer HELP

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 9 Replies
My computer is either completely gone and i need a new one or i just need a new power cord.

I bought my laptop while in college. The cord's wires are starting to show and my comp won't turn on i have 3 years worth of memories saved on it including video from when i had my daughter.

Can someone please help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I would try a new power cord first. It may be that the one you have isn't working and the laptop's battery is drained.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

See if there is a PC World or Best Buy near you, they may be able to help.  I would also try the power cord first.  It is cheaper.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Thanks ladies

Quoting ScrChk23:

See if there is a PC World or Best Buy near you, they may be able to help.  I would also try the power cord first.  It is cheaper.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM

good luck 

romanceparty4u
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM

you'll likely need a new cord, if your cord is bad, it might not be charging. Buy a new cord just to get your stuff off, or borrow a cord temporarily to see if it's the problem.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Idk anybody with a comp like mine lol

Quoting romanceparty4u:

you'll likely need a new cord, if your cord is bad, it might not be charging. Buy a new cord just to get your stuff off, or borrow a cord temporarily to see if it's the problem.

storkradio193
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I agree that you should try a new power cord first.  If it's not the power cord and it still won't turn on then you will need to take it somewhere and have them get your data off.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

opal10161973
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Since the cord is probably the cheapest route at $10-$30 on average, I would try that first. 

You can still get the files off a hard drive, even from a laptop and it's really not that hard.  As long as the drive is not corrupted, it's a $20 set called a USB to IDE/Sata cable set.  You will need to remove the hard drive from the laptop and will need another computer to connect it to, but that is all really.  The set usually has a power cord for the hard drive, so if the power issues are more than just the cord, you have options.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks

Quoting opal10161973:

Since the cord is probably the cheapest route at $10-$30 on average, I would try that first. 

You can still get the files off a hard drive, even from a laptop and it's really not that hard.  As long as the drive is not corrupted, it's a $20 set called a USB to IDE/Sata cable set.  You will need to remove the hard drive from the laptop and will need another computer to connect it to, but that is all really.  The set usually has a power cord for the hard drive, so if the power issues are more than just the cord, you have options.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN