Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Autistic children are just misbehaving

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 26 Replies
5 moms liked this
This is the opinion of many who haven't a clue. And its sad.
Do Autistic children misbehave? Of course they do! Are they capable of following rules? Yep! Do they know right from wrong? Sure they do!

But there is so much involved! So much people wouldn't understand unless they work directly with Autism or they have a child who is Autistic.

On the outside people may see certain circumstances as cases of misbehaving. The perfect example of this is the recent story of the little girl and her cheeseburger. It may look like she is being picky. But what others don't know looking in from the outside is the feelings she is having seeing a cheeseburger cut in half for the very first time in her life.
You see change can actually be scary. That cheeseburger was scary. Sounds like she did a good job of keeping her cool! To others she may have sounded like a brat when she said it was " broken " and didn't want to eat it.

Her reaction had nothing to do with behavioral issues. So I say if you haven't any background in this area you are in no position to pass judgement.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Agreed.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM
4 moms liked this

The part I love (aside from an awesome staff) is that the little girl didn't melt down. She didn't throw a fit, just ate the other foods she was served. It wasn't until she was asked, that the "broken" comment happened. Otherwise no one should have noticed. That tells me that she is doing awesome with her coping skills and must have a very supportive family.

pamelax3
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I agree..

Mater-three
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Yup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommynwife26
by Brianna on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I agree. My SS is autistic and generally he is a very well behaved kid...unless a routine or something is changed on him then he acts out. But he is very loving and sweet. People just don't understand.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I agree. But I would also add that its not JUST children with autism, but with any mental disorder. My son has ADHD & Anxiety.. the post could be applied to him too. But instead of being understanding most people just think he is a brat. :/ 

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I think the way she acted about it is what got the compassion that she got. She didn't meltdown and she didn't throw a tantrum. If she had I would think this story would have had a different end.

Jadnorton
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM
My ASD is very much a rule follower. But if something is against the "rule" then meltdown will follow. For instance we went to an Italian restaurant and the restaurant had different noodles than what he was use to. Poor boy, they broke the rules.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tigress22304
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM

clapping

Thank you!

angelay87
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

agree

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)