Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

are there any 1st grade teachers?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM
  • 7 Replies
Any 1st grade teachers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
alli1204
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I used to teach first. I teach kindergarten now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM
K so I have a few questions. My dd is in k at the moment. She is doing very well. So far she is reading at end of first/ beginning of 2nd grade level. She has about 178 sight words down. She understands 1st grade math and some 2nd grade math concepts. She is reading chapter books. ( magic tree house) anyways how would you handle a child that is so far ahead? In the summer should I keep encouraging her to keep learning? She picks up things very fast. Any tips for a succesful 1st grade year?

Quoting alli1204:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I am not a teacher but for my dd who is in 1st grade they have made the transition into more factual books rather than nonfiction.  Has her teacher spoken to you on comprehension of the books she reads?  It is great that she loves to read though.   I think for the summer keep maintaing the math concepts as well as perhaps work on more sciency things perhaps study how certain animals live.  One month (or week) can be each group of animals like farm, rainforest, mammals, insects, birds etc.

alli1204
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Yes!! Keep her reading! Whatever she wants to read, let her. Keep pushing her. She will be ahead in 1st grade, but a good teacher will meet her needs and challenge her. :)

Quoting piwife:

K so I have a few questions. My dd is in k at the moment. She is doing very well. So far she is reading at end of first/ beginning of 2nd grade level. She has about 178 sight words down. She understands 1st grade math and some 2nd grade math concepts. She is reading chapter books. ( magic tree house) anyways how would you handle a child that is so far ahead? In the summer should I keep encouraging her to keep learning? She picks up things very fast. Any tips for a succesful 1st grade year?

Quoting alli1204:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM
She comprehends everything she reads very well. She is a program called AIG at her school. That's a good idea. She loves animals :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

I am not a teacher but for my dd who is in 1st grade they have made the transition into more factual books rather than nonfiction.  Has her teacher spoken to you on comprehension of the books she reads?  It is great that she loves to read though.   I think for the summer keep maintaing the math concepts as well as perhaps work on more sciency things perhaps study how certain animals live.  One month (or week) can be each group of animals like farm, rainforest, mammals, insects, birds etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM
At the ptc, her teacher mention her 1st grade year being split into 1st and 2nd grade. Do you think that is a good idea?

Quoting alli1204:

Yes!! Keep her reading! Whatever she wants to read, let her. Keep pushing her. She will be ahead in 1st grade, but a good teacher will meet her needs and challenge her. :)

Quoting piwife:

Quoting alli1204:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Your welcome.  Right now my dd is fascinated with wild cats (leopards,panthers, lions) so i picked up 4 factual books from public library for the fun reading we do at home.

Quoting piwife:

She comprehends everything she reads very well. She is a program called AIG at her school. That's a good idea. She loves animals :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)