Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dodgeball banned from NH school district because of bullying concerns

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM
  • 4 Replies

2 hrs ago

It might be played with foam balls you can't even feel when they hit you. The strategy is often to eliminate the strongest players first and not the weak. But all that doesn't matter: Dodgeball is pure evil. Or, at the very least, it fosters a culture of bullying, according to the school board in Windham, N.H., which has eliminated it and other "target" sports from gym classes. A parent complaint started the campaign, and rather than deal with the purported bullies, teachers recommended pulling the plug on the game instead, citing expert claims that "elimination" games don't keep kids engaged. Watch out, freeze tag and Red Rover. You may be next. [Source]

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Well you know, back in my day (ancient times), they didn't use foam balls, they were hard and they hurt. Even without bullying it hurts like a mofo to get hit. I was usually targeted straight off so I got eliminated quickly (and I was bullied). 

christina0607
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM

While I love the game and take my sons and their friends to play all the time(on trampolines so it's SO much more fun!)...I really don't think it needs to be played in school. 

gregheather
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Those games have been eliminated in our schools for years - my 18 year old niece has never played dodge ball in school.

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM

there are schools here that dont allow it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN