Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Need help planning bday party!!??

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm having my son's 2nd bday at a playground & we're renting a pavillion. I've never thrown a kids bday party & I'm totally clueless.

Do I need to make goody bags or favors for the kids? If so, please give me suggestions :)

And most of the people we're inviting are VERY organic & healthy eaters so I know hot dogs, hamburgers and cake isn't going to work. Any healthy alternatives? Again, it'll be outdoors, but they do have a grill available.

Also, does he need to open presents there in front of everyone or wait till we get home?

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Quoting mommychelle01:

I'm having my son's 2nd bday at a playground & we're renting a pavillion. I've never thrown a kids bday party & I'm totally clueless.

Do I need to make goody bags or favors for the kids? If so, please give me suggestions :) I do not.  I like to send a thank you card with pictures of my child with the person that is getting the card.  If its older kids I have them do a craft of making a frame for the future picture. 

And most of the people we're inviting are VERY organic & healthy eaters so I know hot dogs, hamburgers and cake isn't going to work. Any healthy alternatives? Again, it'll be outdoors, but they do have a grill available.  Grilled fruits and veggies, marinated chicken legs.  I would still do a cake.  Its a celebration!  

Also, does he need to open presents there in front of everyone or wait till we get home?  You can do it either way.  Most like to see the child open their gifts. 

mommychelle01
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

BUMP!

ramita
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM
I can't help on the food, but for goody bags it depends on the age. If its real little ones it doesn't hurt to have something especially if your gonna have your kid open presents at the park, but its not necessary. If you choose to do bags usually a few cheap toys and some snacks/candy. Opening presents is completely up to you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pna1Dra6on
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:48 AM

1-If it's a pretty casual bday you don't have to if you don't want to go through the hassle.  Also depends on how old the kids that are coming may be.  To keep it simple you can just throw some stickers/bubbles/toys/pencils/fruit snacks/candies in there.

2. Fruit & vegie platter.  There are some soy burgers that don't taste too bad and you can season them up to add some flavor.  turkey hot dogs aren't too bad either.  Grilled vegies & shimp/chicken skewers are yum.  Grilled fish.  Cubed cheeses & olives on toothpicks. Turkey wraps. Salads. Coleslaws.  Hummus platter & crackers.  Deviled Eggs. Potato/Macaroni Salads. Sauteed garlic Mushrooms & other vegies w/your choice of meat.  I agree that you should get a Cake still.  There are healthier fruit cakes for an alternative.  If your concerned of others not trying some just get a small personal sized one. 

3. Open presents there.  Many find delight in seeing kids' reactions to the present they purchased.  The plus side is also being able to throw all the wrappings away there vs filling up  room in your own trashcans.  Just don't forget bags to help tote all the goodies back home. :)

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:21 AM

YES on the favors--I usually do like things I know my kids like such as a bag of their favorite things like play doh, bubbles, stickers, etc.

fruit salad, veggie pitas, cucumber sandwiches, asparagus sandwiches, veggie kabobs, veggie burgers, etc. 

no he can wait until he gets home.

cjsix
There are many ups and downs through out a marriage and our lives but,if we fight for what we care about most we can make it and find our hearts home <3
Today at 3:02 AM
by faith on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:06 AM

I'm not sure how many you are looking at having or how old the kids coming will be but,you can get coloring books for real cheap at walmart or a dollar store and add a box of crayons for not too much. Walmart also has 6 packs of bubbles with various colored bottles for I think it's under $3.

As far as the food you could do a potluck and have everyone bring something. You do the cake and drinks and maybe a meat of some sort.

Please allow your son and your guests to have the joy of opening his gifts with everyone there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)