Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Whinny 9 year old...make it stop!!!

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:57 AM
  • 5 Replies

My dd now 9,  has been trying to do this whinny fit crap. I don't know if she may be getting hormones early or what. But my God I am tired of it. 

I have became friends with their friends mother down the street and she has one my dd's age and one older. And my other dd is 6. They are all fine at my house for the most part, we go over there and it tends to be a whine and fit fest. When my dd's start in, I have been making it time to go. We will try to regroup them, but it is a downer sometimes because we want to hang out also. It is funny because if they are split up and no sisters are around they play nice. Once a sister gets in the mix they complain, whine and pout.

I'm not sure if it something she is picking up there or what. Their mom really does not seem to feed into it though. Maybe all four of our girls have more extreme type personalities. I know my girls are hyper for sure. 

At home when my 9yr dd starts it, I tell her to go to her room and pout because I don't want to see it and I don't want to hear her complaining. She even did it when I was getting ready to take them to the zoo and we about didn't even go. Most the time it is stupid crap like how her bike is at grandma's house (because Grandma takes her to school). I really hope it ends though. I'm even thinking of having her really stay home and earning every privledge because when I was a kid, many of the kids had to do a lot more than they do before playing. My family wasn't as strict, but I didn't sit around complaining eighter. 

Any other suggestions. It is geting old. 

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Angeliquer13
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:01 AM
I think taking away privileges when she whins is a good idea .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:10 AM

STRICT and yes  at this age if a 9 minute time out does not work, losing a privelege for 2 days should get the message across.   I know for this age as well when our neighbors wanted to make a point with their child, they would find someone who needed an extra set of hands around the house for different cleaning tasks.  I wonder if she is getting overly tired as well as the influx of increased hormones.   

I have a 7 yr old dd and when we are visiting others it is usually an hour or more away so we can not just get up and leave.  She has to sit near me in a time out silently to compose herself and then rejoin the group ready to listen to instruction.  When the other children try to interact with her, i explain that she is in time out to cool down her mood.

Mamamanic
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:18 AM

I like the cool down her mood idea. It really is a bummer when we want to hang out and all they want to do is complain. Even hanging out having a little fire pit roasting marshmellows turns into I was sitting there drama. I know my 6 yr old has to cool down with mom and then rejoin them, She does it naturally, maybe I need to enforce it with my older one. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

STRICT and yes  at this age if a 9 minute time out does not work, losing a privelege for 2 days should get the message across.   I know for this age as well when our neighbors wanted to make a point with their child, they would find someone who needed an extra set of hands around the house for different cleaning tasks.  I wonder if she is getting overly tired as well as the influx of increased hormones.   

I have a 7 yr old dd and when we are visiting others it is usually an hour or more away so we can not just get up and leave.  She has to sit near me in a time out silently to compose herself and then rejoin the group ready to listen to instruction.  When the other children try to interact with her, i explain that she is in time out to cool down her mood.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Setting up both girls to learn how to cool themselves down when upset is a good skill to transition into their adulthoods.  I have to deal with the "i was sitting there first ' drama as well but usually due to daddy sitting in the spot she wanted.

Quoting Mamamanic:

I like the cool down her mood idea. It really is a bummer when we want to hang out and all they want to do is complain. Even hanging out having a little fire pit roasting marshmellows turns into I was sitting there drama. I know my 6 yr old has to cool down with mom and then rejoin them, She does it naturally, maybe I need to enforce it with my older one. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Mamamanic
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Maybe I need to look at the sibling interactions and how to improve that. I mean even today before school big sis started in on little sis and then it is like this down spiral from that. Maybe the cool down your mood might work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)