Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

settle an argument about ,money

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 40 Replies
My mom passed away about 2 years ago. When she died there was some insurance that she left her s/o of over 20 years. My brother rhinks the insurance money should of been split between us kids and my mothers s/o. I think he's nuts and the money should not of been split. ( forgive all spelling and grammar being mobile is difficult)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krissy920
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM
5 moms liked this

if she left it to  her s/o it should be her s/o's money.

SpnFulOfSugar
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM
4 moms liked this
If she left it to him he should get 100% of it. If she would have wanted her children to have it she would have left it to them.
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM
When my mom passed, 9 months ago, my father gave us each a little but it was nowhere near split.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM
The money goes to whomever she left it to. It's SO's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM

If she had no will it goes to the husband, it she wanted it to go to her children she would have had a said that in a will.

partingwhisper
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this

if she left it to him solely then that was her wishes. 

shoot4thestars
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM

If she left to her SO, then it is legally his money.  If there is no will, it automatically goes to SO.  My grandfather never made out a will because he didn't think he was dieing.  He had asbestos cancer and died at 63.   He was pretty wealthy, but all his money went to my mom's stepmom.  She gave my mom, aunt and uncle a little bit, but that was it.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
If it had been a substantial amount of money my mom would of given her kids to but it wasn't a whole lot. The s/o is on a very small fixed income and without my moms income the s/o would not have enough to make ends meet. So the money she got is keepimg a roof over her head and money for food. My brother is choosing to move to another state and now decides he needs more money for the move so he's bitching.

Quoting shoot4thestars:

If she left to her SO, then it is legally his money.  If there is no will, it automatically goes to SO.  My grandfather never made out a will because he didn't think he was dieing.  He had asbestos cancer and died at 63.   He was pretty wealthy, but all his money went to my mom's stepmom.  She gave my mom, aunt and uncle a little bit, but that was it.

TableforSeven
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

If she left her wishes for where the money was to go.....then those wishes should have been honored - period.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I agree. If her SO decides to give some to you and your brother, that would be up to him.

Quoting krissy920:

if she left it to  her s/o it should be her s/o's money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)