Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

is this normal?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

My son is gifted for his age.. even if he wasnt I would love him just the same.. but Im very proud of him. He's almost 4 and according to my younger sons PT he is on the level of a 6 or 7 year old. My younger son is slightly delayed and as I said, I love him just the same. It's just how life worked out for us. I'm proud of him too he's come a long way in his therapy.

Anyway

My mom runs an in-home daycare. She looks after a little girl who is 5, but is disabled. She cannot speak, express herself or use the potty. The only words she does know she repeats over and over to get her point across. Im proud of my son because he accepts her and interacts with her as if she were normal. They even have "conversations" with one another. It makes her so happy :) But, I noticed some days when he comes home he starts to mimic her behavior. He wont speak normally in a sentence.. he'll repeat the same word over and over. Maybe i'm silly to worry, but will this affect him? He throws more fits than usual too, but of course that could be related to anything.

Should I worry? What can I do to make sure he doesn't back track? Or should I just correct him and go about my business?

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
RADmomma
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I would just explain that he needs to use his big boy words. Tell him how good he is for helping her & being her friend but he needs to use his words.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
inspain
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I'd be concerned.  But that's me.  

ccmvm
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

i wouldnt call it back tracking, he's not forgetting what he already knows he is copying someone else. You just need to remind him to use sentences.

my DD often times will start crying or whining like friend's younger kiddos. their same tone and sound,drives me nuts. i tell her do not copy sew and sew, that's not what we do and she can express herself her own way. She eventually cuts it out after she doesnt get the kind of reaction she was hoping for.

Mamamanic
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd picked some bad behavior from a girl at preschool last year. Not to say she didn't have her own things going on, but it got much worse like violent tantrums. Children should interact with different people in life. All you can do is stick to your guns and do not get the desired response he is hoping to get through his behavior. If he is pointing and acting like a ittle toddler, I would just let him know that if he wants something from you he has to use his big boy words and talk. The other child can't help that so she mightget her needs met that way, but it needs to be clear that he will not. 

ccmvm
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

i also want to say that my DD is 4, is on the spectrum, and like that little girl has limited speech, no sentences and will repeat things over and over. That being said if someone told me my DD was causing their child to back track i'd be very hurt. It's already painful enough as a mother to take her to a park and watch the other kids pick fun at her speech and see her struggle to talk and interact with them and they don't understand. Kudos to your son for playing with that little girl and being her friend. The older my DD gets, the harder it is getting.

I urge you to talk with your son and explain to him that he can help his friend if he speaks in full sentences and show her how to do things. Being with peers DD's age who do include her and talk to her has helped her so much and when i see her included like that, it warms my heart.

BabySocks0912
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Thank you for your replies, mamas! I havent been giving in to him when he copies her behavior. I make him tell me what he wants.. sometimes he'll throw a fit and go pout in his room, but eventually he'll calm down and things are business as usual.

BabySocks0912
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings and I would never tell the mother of this girl that shes causing problems. Thats why I asked for advice on how to handle my own child. I know she cant help her disorder.

I'm sorry your dd gets picked on, but happy to hear there are children that enjoy her company. Thank you for the advice.

Quoting ccmvm:

i also want to say that my DD is 4, is on the spectrum, and like that little girl has limited speech, no sentences and will repeat things over and over. That being said if someone told me my DD was causing their child to back track i'd be very hurt. It's already painful enough as a mother to take her to a park and watch the other kids pick fun at her speech and see her struggle to talk and interact with them and they don't understand. Kudos to your son for playing with that little girl and being her friend. The older my DD gets, the harder it is getting.

I urge you to talk with your son and explain to him that he can help his friend if he speaks in full sentences and show her how to do things. Being with peers DD's age who do include her and talk to her has helped her so much and when i see her included like that, it warms my heart.

Nicole1357
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I think you are doing the right thing. 

Quoting BabySocks0912:

Thank you for your replies, mamas! I havent been giving in to him when he copies her behavior. I make him tell me what he wants.. sometimes he'll throw a fit and go pout in his room, but eventually he'll calm down and things are business as usual.

Our God is healer, awesome in power!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)