Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My experience, so far with cloth diapering with pictures

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

Initial review of Ebay's China diaper, Shine Baby. I bought ten pocket diapers, with ten microfiber inserts for $38.60 and free shipping. They look solid. The fabric doesn't feel "plasticy" like I thought it would. I washed them cold and no detergent, then warm with All Free, then cold no detergent. I dried the covers and inserts on medium heat for about 20 minutes. They were almost completely dry. I air dried the covers and ran the inserts for another hour. But, my dryer is odd about drying individual or smaller loads, so I added the covers back into the dryer and dried on medium for another thirty minutes. They all dried great. No delamination. With what I had heard, I almost expected them to fall apart after the first wash! The inserts kind of "fluffed up" a little bit, which was kind of interesting. I have two sons, that are both in size four Parent's Choice disposal diapers. I stuffed two diapers with two inserts, for this first attempt, because it was a night time wear. First, I placed a diaper on my two year old. He thought I was odd and watched me suspiciously. He is 26 pounds and 35 inches tall, so a string bean. I left the rise at the longest setting and I snapped the waist in to the next to smallest setting, without the tabs touching or crossing over. Second, I tackled a wiggly eight month old. He is twenty one pounds and twenty six inches tall, quite the chunk. Go boobies! Anyway. I had decided to try this on the medium setting for the rise. It fit snuggly and I ended up fastening the waist on the second widest setting, because he is quite big. We had no waking up from leaking. We had no waking up from either of them feeling wet (though the two year old is getting to the point he wakes up dry more frequently than not) and my eight month old is a heavy wetter, even during the day! I waited about thirty minutes to change them after we all woke up and played around, to make sure the two year old peed and to see if it would hold the eight month old's morning pee, which has been known to make the Walmart posies leak! We had no leakage, no red marks around the legs. On the eight month old, there was a little bit of an elastic mark, so I put the next diaper on the full rise setting. I *gross alert* was curious what the inside of the pocket felt like against their skin with the amount of urine they had each deposited. So, I felt it. And it was slightly damp- both of them. The two year old and wet both of the inserts, but they were not completely soaked. The edges were just damp. The eight month old on the other hand, the inserts were heavy and there was not a dry spot or even slightly damp spot on either insert! And the diaper held up to the task! So far, so good! 

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinaiAngelPai15
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad you're liking them.  I wish I still had all mine.  Can't wait til I get the money to get more.

Cubanmom84
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

See I thought of cloth diapers as a square cloth attached with pins lol I grew up in Cuba so this is what we know... they were easy, use them, wash them and air dry them.... now is soo damn complicated.. I get that you have to wash them with a gentler detergent but i think its just complicated now. We are trying for a baby now, and I was thinking about using them to save money, but its getting rediculious for what I can see...

RADmomma
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I use cloth & love it.

We use alva pockets on a 16 lb (almost) 4 month old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cubanmom84:

See I thought of cloth diapers as a square cloth attached with pins lol I grew up in Cuba so this is what we know... they were easy, use them, wash them and air dry them.... now is soo damn complicated.. I get that you have to wash them with a gentler detergent but i think its just complicated now. We are trying for a baby now, and I was thinking about using them to save money, but its getting rediculious for what I can see...

they still sell the simple prefolds and diaper pins if that's what you like. they sell them in packs of 12 for about 10 ...12 dollars. I think.

louzannalady
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM

There are different types. These are called pocket diapers. They are cheaper to start up using than what you are talking about with the prefolds/flats and covers. I am going to move to what you are talking about ASAP! : ) I agree, it is much easier and they last MUCH longer! : ) I just wanted to get out of disposables as fast as possible and this was the most cost effective way! : ) 

Quoting Cubanmom84:

Mamamanic
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Boy cloth diapers have came a long way. I did not use them, but my mom said she had to with me because I always had terrible rashing. She always had extra for my sis just in case she ran out of disposables. They sure are cute and wish I would have looked into them more when mine were babes.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I love pocket diapers. I absolutely hate prefolds, snapis/pins and covers.

Glad they are working for you! I have some no name china diapers that work ok. My son is 16 mo and they are too narrow in the butt for him now. Microfiber inserts don't work for us so we use bamboo. Still haven't found a night time solution so he wears disposables night time diapers still since he leaks out of everything else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Love cloth diapering! We have an eclectic mix of diapers. Some fitteds, some pockets, a couple all in ones, a few prefolds, some covers....lol

jellybeans5
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

You can still do it that way, I did with all 5 kids and my youngest is now 5.

http://www.clothdiaper.com/PRODUCTS/OsoCozy-Birdseye-Flat-Diapers/OsoCozy-Birdseye-Flat-Cloth-Diapers.html - flat diapers

http://www.clothdiaper.com/PRODUCTS/DIAPER-COVERS/Gerber-Waterproof-Pants.html - simple covers

http://www.clothdiaper.com/PRODUCTS/DIAPER-COVERS/?search=pins  - pins

You can even make them yourself, I've made a few with some old T-shirts and because I had a ton of receiving blankets, I used them too.

http://fernandfaerie.com/sewing_flats.html - more info

Doing it this way saved me crazy amounts of money and was so simple. I remember my mom doing it similar to this too. :-)

Quoting Cubanmom84:

See I thought of cloth diapers as a square cloth attached with pins lol I grew up in Cuba so this is what we know... they were easy, use them, wash them and air dry them.... now is soo damn complicated.. I get that you have to wash them with a gentler detergent but i think its just complicated now. We are trying for a baby now, and I was thinking about using them to save money, but its getting ridiculous for what I can see...

louzannalady
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I think, my next project will be to turn prefolds into fitteds and use covers, since it will be cheaper in the long run and we can use them over many children. They will also be able to better handle abuse! Lol! Do you have an one-sized covers you like? Do you have a favorite prefold/fitted?

Quoting circle_of_life:

Love cloth diapering! We have an eclectic mix of diapers. Some fitteds, some pockets, a couple all in ones, a few prefolds, some covers....lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN