Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Am I THAT out of touch with reality?!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been homeschooling my kids for 2 years now and we typically converse with friends with kids and other homeschooler families. I get it that we miss a lot of the trends kids go through because we aren't around it.

This afternoon one of my 9 year old daughters was outside playing with one of her little brothers. A kid who she'd met in public school that lives 2 blocks away road up on his bike and started cursing at her and my son right in front of me. He dropped the F bomb, a several other choice words. The thing is, we have been so nice to this kid. True, we havent seen him all winter- but last summer and fall he'd ride his bike over and often eat dinner with our family when we'd grill out. So I say to this kid "HEY, YOU need to watch your language or I am calling your MOM"- he goes, "I dont give a f***, call her!" (he is NINE by the way)So, I get the gets up to call her. She isnt home but her husband is so I calmly tell him what just had happened and he says, "its not like the kids havent heard those words before." I go, "Well I just thought you'd want to know he was saying those things" and his Dad hung up on me.

So. I told a friend about it and she said it happens ALL THE TIME. She said her 11 year old son did something similar and she grounded him and that the kids in her neighborhood do things like that often. 

I am in shock. Is it really so common for 9, 10 11 year old kids to be using this kind of language!? I admit, when I was like 12 or 13 I remember thinking it was cool to say certain curse words but ONLY around my friends and never EVER to an adult.

My friend said since we homeschool, its likely we are just out of touch with certain realities. I'm like, seriously!? seriously!? I guess its one thing I'm glad I'm out of touch with if it really is a reality- because thats just craziness to me.

So, is it so common to hear that language these days out of the mouths of tweens?!

Mama to my 8 little monkeys <3

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Quoting MamaCarterof5:

Quoting frndlyfn:

It doesnt happen to much in our area that i have noticed.   We have had older children in their teens apologize to us when they noticed dd was listening to their conversation.  I was always taught it was trashy or a sign of dumbness if you used those words since there are a million others that could fit in that sentence without being vulgar.

right- exactly! 

There are times when we are out with the kids and someone is being overly loud and cursing for no apparent reason within earshot of everyone around them and all I can do is look and them and think... what an idiot. 

My guy and his son have learned how to curb their language especially if dd would repeat it.  I shake my head at people who use it for every word.   Same with people talking in public loudly about their sexual exploits.  We all do not need to hear.

coleysmama
by Lisa on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Not common in my area at all. I wrked for the school district and never heard it there either. To be honest my son would tell me about language in the back of the bus in the 6th grade, but it was more of the normal "trying it out to be cool" stuff.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norwgnwood
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM
I've been cussed out by 6 year olds but that comes with my line of work...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
partingwhisper
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM

kids at that age using that language is not acceptable in any way. but since you homeschool do you at least set up social activities with other homeschooling families so your kids can get some socialization in outside the home?

Jenniy
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids would burp bubbles for a MONTH if they talked like that.
BluePandaDreams
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM
My daughter cusses. I taught her that there are other ways to communicate with people she isn't close friends with and she would get better respect from others if she left out the colorful language. And frankly, I would have hung up on you to, if you had called me about my child's coarse language.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM

yes it's common but not all of them do it.

romanceparty4u
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Only common if the kid has a trashy parent. Steer clear. I wouldn't let your kids hang with him any more, and if he wonders why he's not invited over anymore, tell him he has a potty mouth and you don't put up with that mess. Someone has to tell him he's wrong, might as well be you.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:40 AM

so it's ok with you for your child to cuss out an adult for no reason...  seriously?

Quoting BluePandaDreams:

My daughter cusses. I taught her that there are other ways to communicate with people she isn't close friends with and she would get better respect from others if she left out the colorful language. And frankly, I would have hung up on you to, if you had called me about my child's coarse language.

crazymom21
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Oh no, you aren't out of touch there are just a lot of crappy parents out there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN