Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Am I THAT out of touch with reality?!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been homeschooling my kids for 2 years now and we typically converse with friends with kids and other homeschooler families. I get it that we miss a lot of the trends kids go through because we aren't around it.

This afternoon one of my 9 year old daughters was outside playing with one of her little brothers. A kid who she'd met in public school that lives 2 blocks away road up on his bike and started cursing at her and my son right in front of me. He dropped the F bomb, a several other choice words. The thing is, we have been so nice to this kid. True, we havent seen him all winter- but last summer and fall he'd ride his bike over and often eat dinner with our family when we'd grill out. So I say to this kid "HEY, YOU need to watch your language or I am calling your MOM"- he goes, "I dont give a f***, call her!" (he is NINE by the way)So, I get the gets up to call her. She isnt home but her husband is so I calmly tell him what just had happened and he says, "its not like the kids havent heard those words before." I go, "Well I just thought you'd want to know he was saying those things" and his Dad hung up on me.

So. I told a friend about it and she said it happens ALL THE TIME. She said her 11 year old son did something similar and she grounded him and that the kids in her neighborhood do things like that often. 

I am in shock. Is it really so common for 9, 10 11 year old kids to be using this kind of language!? I admit, when I was like 12 or 13 I remember thinking it was cool to say certain curse words but ONLY around my friends and never EVER to an adult.

My friend said since we homeschool, its likely we are just out of touch with certain realities. I'm like, seriously!? seriously!? I guess its one thing I'm glad I'm out of touch with if it really is a reality- because thats just craziness to me.

So, is it so common to hear that language these days out of the mouths of tweens?!

Mama to my 8 little monkeys <3

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:01 AM
My 17 year old wouldn't say that stuff around me. I teach 7th grade and I've never heard that language.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:19 AM
It is not normal, but my kids have heard curse words on the bus. DD (9) tried the F-word in K. Once I explained to her what it meant, and why it is not appropriate, she didn't say it again. I've never had her peers do that in my presence.

I feel sorry for that kid. His dad isn't doing him any favor by condoning that kind of behavior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not a public school fail...it's a parenting fail. Curse words are not a part of public school curriculum. Kids hear the words at home (on TV, in songs or out of their parents' mouths) and repeat them.

DD is 8 and I think only knows s**t but knows not to say it. The worst I've ever hear her say is call her brother a jerk. DS is 12 and pretty much knows all of them. He also knows he's not allowed to say them. I've never heard him use them (and he has a bit of temper), I've never heard his friends use them and I've never been told he's used them (by friends' parents or teachers and I know it's not tolerated in school). If he and his friends do say them, they are very quiet with it and keep it to themselves.

I don't agree with it but some parents don't care what they or their kids say. I've even seen mom say this here on CM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM

It is very common to hear that language from kids.  Lots of parents think the schools are babysitters and should teach kids proper manners. When in reality teaching starts at home.

Carmel63
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I have worked with kids, and never experienced behavior like what you described.

3.ang3ls
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Holy cow. I would be shocked if I heard that. That's a big problem today, in general, IMO. Kids aren't expected to be respectful any more. I swear sometimes, but my kids know better. They are 10, 8, and almost 6. I am always told by their friends parents that they are very well behaved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheDoctorsWife
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Hell to the no! My ds would be apologizing and some sort of punishment. You don't disrespect adults like that
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norwgnwood
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Yeah its pretty sad but I work in mental health. These kids usually come from extensive trauma and abuse.

Quoting Allisonc7910:

Yikes

Quoting norwgnwood:

I've been cussed out by 6 year olds but that comes with my line of work...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Yeah, I've seen kids like that. They are also talking about sexual things as Kindergarteners now, too.

squeakers2
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I live across the road from a park and I here stuff like that all the time. Hell, the 3 yr old little girl I babysit told my 3 yr old daughter "I'll f you up." I told her I hear ANYTHING like that again, I'd wash her mouth out. In her case, its she hears it often from her mom. When I brought it up to her mom, her mom was terrified and said she agrees with what I said. About a year ago, we had my daughter at the park. Some little boy about 6 or 7 kept cussing, every word in the book, and his friend kept begging him to not cuss infront of her. He wouldn't stop and his friend walked up to me and appologized, saying he asked him to stop, but he wouldn't. I almost went to the boy's house and thanked his parents for raising a respectful child. I'm no saint. I cuss and so does their father, but we don't cuss at our children and they know they are not to repeat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)