Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Am I THAT out of touch with reality?!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been homeschooling my kids for 2 years now and we typically converse with friends with kids and other homeschooler families. I get it that we miss a lot of the trends kids go through because we aren't around it.

This afternoon one of my 9 year old daughters was outside playing with one of her little brothers. A kid who she'd met in public school that lives 2 blocks away road up on his bike and started cursing at her and my son right in front of me. He dropped the F bomb, a several other choice words. The thing is, we have been so nice to this kid. True, we havent seen him all winter- but last summer and fall he'd ride his bike over and often eat dinner with our family when we'd grill out. So I say to this kid "HEY, YOU need to watch your language or I am calling your MOM"- he goes, "I dont give a f***, call her!" (he is NINE by the way)So, I get the gets up to call her. She isnt home but her husband is so I calmly tell him what just had happened and he says, "its not like the kids havent heard those words before." I go, "Well I just thought you'd want to know he was saying those things" and his Dad hung up on me.

So. I told a friend about it and she said it happens ALL THE TIME. She said her 11 year old son did something similar and she grounded him and that the kids in her neighborhood do things like that often. 

I am in shock. Is it really so common for 9, 10 11 year old kids to be using this kind of language!? I admit, when I was like 12 or 13 I remember thinking it was cool to say certain curse words but ONLY around my friends and never EVER to an adult.

My friend said since we homeschool, its likely we are just out of touch with certain realities. I'm like, seriously!? seriously!? I guess its one thing I'm glad I'm out of touch with if it really is a reality- because thats just craziness to me.

So, is it so common to hear that language these days out of the mouths of tweens?!

Mama to my 8 little monkeys <3

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Replies (41-50):
jojo_star
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:14 AM

He and the 15 year old are our niece and nephew, the 14 year old is my stepson, and the 11 year old is my biological son. 

Quoting ColieO:

If you got pregnant at 12 and are 25 now, how do you have a16 year old?

Quoting jojo_star:

Quoting MamaCarterof5:

Quoting jojo_star:

My children are 11, 14, 15, and 16. I'm sure they curse occasionally, but they know better than to swear at home, or anywhere in front of my husband or myself. They were raised to be respectful of others, and they are. And my children go to public school. But, it is normal to hear that kind of language. Our 6 year old neighbor girl has told her dog to F*** off when he was chasing her in the yard. 

Geez, that is just crazy to me!? 

Bad parenting? I mean, who do you blame that on? The kids? What kind of 6 year old says F off!?

It is crazy. I have to say, I was speechless! I think it's a combination of things, mainly bad parenting, but also just lack of parenting, and the kind of material children are allowed to watch these days. In my experience, and maybe I'm just old fashioned, though since I'm 25, I don't think that's it, but it seems like parents are just so lax in nearly every respect of parenting. It breaks my heart for the kids, because they are the ones that suffer. 

trainlady
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM

No you are not out of touch. These children that are doing these things are getting very bad parenting. Kids 18 years old and grown up should not be using these profane words. Its not normal its bad behavior. And since the father hung up on you that tells you something. He believes that kids have heard these words before. Well sure they have because parents like him let their kids say them and don't do a thing about it. I have a great nephew who is 13 and a great niece who is 11 living next door to me and if I heard these words coming out of their mouths there would be hell to pay. I doubt seriously that the kids in your neighborhood say those words in class to the teacher. If they do you better move to a better neighborhood

Tigress22304
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

not in my house-they'll get slapped or soap in their mouths

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I guess you could call it "reality," but that still doesn't make it right. As far as the father who hung up on you, he was probably embarrassed because he thought he was being scolded. His kid is a reflection of himself. Most parents would have at least said thank you before hangng up.

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Yeah kids these days have potty mouth.  I'm no better.  If someone upsets me.  I'll swear worse than a sailor.   I should wash my mouth out with soap.

HuggaBug1991
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM

That's just sad. But unfortuntely in the year and day it is reality. :(

WendyJR
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM

umm we won't home school (more than likely)but if my tween/teen would talk like that to another person we would have issues. DH and i do not use that language around the kids (or really at all), and i expect my kids to know better and be more respectful of others.

Growing up my mom always told me that swearing made you sound uneducated and stupid. And that there were better ways/words to use to express yourself with. So that stuck with me.

MessedUpMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I'm glad to see that there parents that care about such things. Meaning you ladies of course. I have been in or heard discussions where Mom's were saying that they didn't see any need for basic manners. They don't think their kids need to treat or speak to adults any differently than they do other kids, and since other kids say those words it's no longer a problem for their kids to speak like that either.

ChefFatCat
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I gotta say this, I use the "F" bomb all the time, its not that im a trashy person its just the way I talk,

How ever with that being said my kids never use a foul word in front of me til they was out of the house its all in how you raise them, 

my old'st cuss's now but she is also 25, my other 2 even thow they r out of the house they wont cuss's in front of me lol.. & well my 10yr knows better, so its all in how they are raised up...

my kids are very respectful, yes mama no sir, thank you, may I, & they also treat there olders with the up most respect, but I have to say this, when they are disrespected in any ways they will curse out someone in a heart beat, & tell them where to go! they wont put up with anyone disrespecting them or me, 

now for kids doing that? my young'st is in PS #0000, she hears alot of kids using the "F" word plus so much more, now has she used them? so far so good I havent heard anything, but I have told other parents about what I heard & they was like SO who cares.. its just words, so to me that is being getto!! if you have no respect for yourself then you wont have any respect for others, and your kids will see this as well & think its ok...  

My kids has never seen me go off on someone unless someone was being disrespectful to me, or to my kids, then yaaa I'll blow up hard core. & yes I cuss in the home!! ( to much) I know this... 

Quoting MamaCarterof5:

Growing up my parents taught us to be respectful, yes, but moreso my mom emphasized that people who talked that way without regard to who was around them were usually trashy people. So, bearing that in mind- I wasn't just worried about being respectful, rather, I was scared someone would think I was trashy lol!

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM
I want a donut now...

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

We homeschool too.  We've been doing it for almost 10 years now.  I have learned that there are some "realities" that I am so glad we are out of touch with and I make no apologies for it!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)