Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Am I THAT out of touch with reality?!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been homeschooling my kids for 2 years now and we typically converse with friends with kids and other homeschooler families. I get it that we miss a lot of the trends kids go through because we aren't around it.

This afternoon one of my 9 year old daughters was outside playing with one of her little brothers. A kid who she'd met in public school that lives 2 blocks away road up on his bike and started cursing at her and my son right in front of me. He dropped the F bomb, a several other choice words. The thing is, we have been so nice to this kid. True, we havent seen him all winter- but last summer and fall he'd ride his bike over and often eat dinner with our family when we'd grill out. So I say to this kid "HEY, YOU need to watch your language or I am calling your MOM"- he goes, "I dont give a f***, call her!" (he is NINE by the way)So, I get the gets up to call her. She isnt home but her husband is so I calmly tell him what just had happened and he says, "its not like the kids havent heard those words before." I go, "Well I just thought you'd want to know he was saying those things" and his Dad hung up on me.

So. I told a friend about it and she said it happens ALL THE TIME. She said her 11 year old son did something similar and she grounded him and that the kids in her neighborhood do things like that often. 

I am in shock. Is it really so common for 9, 10 11 year old kids to be using this kind of language!? I admit, when I was like 12 or 13 I remember thinking it was cool to say certain curse words but ONLY around my friends and never EVER to an adult.

My friend said since we homeschool, its likely we are just out of touch with certain realities. I'm like, seriously!? seriously!? I guess its one thing I'm glad I'm out of touch with if it really is a reality- because thats just craziness to me.

So, is it so common to hear that language these days out of the mouths of tweens?!

Mama to my 8 little monkeys <3

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Replies (71-74):
onethentwins
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM

No you're not out of touch. This would never fly in my community and all the kids go to public school.  Yes, I hear them swearing when they don't know I can hear them, but hells no a kid angrily dropping F bombs in front of an adult wouldn't happen. Oh, and in case anyone thinks I live in the bible belt or something, I live on the west side of urban Los Angeles.

j-c-s-3
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Umm I hope that your not out of reality because I don't want my children which are 6, 4 & baking EVER to talk that way! I cuss but NEVER around my children! Growing up I cussed around friends but if there was ever a chance of older people hearing us I would tell my friends to keep it down or to stop talking because I was raised to respect my elders!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommaDues
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I myself am a home schooling parent, rather new at it, and  I am absolutely appalled that anyone would say this is normal behavior and that home schoolers are out of touch with reality! It never was and never will be normal, I admit, I may use profanity from time to time, and this because a properly placed explitive is the only thing that fits the bill or out of temperment, however, children are way out of line while cussing at other children in front of adults and they are extremely out of line when cussing at adults. It's a sad day in America when this type of behavior is on it's way to status quo, we must take our children back from this vile culture trend, this culture war that is amidst.

pinkfairy0206
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM
No,I do not agree. My kids all go to regular school and they never use this language. My daughter is 10 and says I'm thinking of a bad word but I would never say it! Then on the other hand my daughter who is 6 has been cussed at by another 6 yr old and 2 weeks ago he threatened to shoot her to death! I've been battling with the school because they gave him a one days suspension!! I've been to the principle 3xs and on the phone countless. I'm at my wits end. If anything happens again its on!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN