Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I'm 20 weeks pregnant & i just find out I'm having a baby girl. the doc said she's healthy & everything but for some reason i think i was happier before i knew the sex. You see my whole family thought she was a boy & i especially wanted a boy. I know the most important thing is that its a healthy baby but i must admit, I've been a little blue since i found out I'll be buying pink. I can't think of any names, i don't really want tho do my registry anymore, i just don't feel as happy as i did when i thought 'she' was a 'he'. I don't want my daughter to feel my emotion. Any advice ladies??
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
Gorilla_Mama
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Its normal. I was hoping my dd2 would be a boy but she wasn't and I was disappointed for a day or so but then I started to get excited again. And now I love that little princess so much I can't imagine having a boy instead.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mysonismyjoy
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I agree with the other ladies. It will pass soon. We just had our 4th boy and I felt sad for a little after finding out he was a boy, but I quickly adjusted to the news and now that he is here, I am so incredibly grateful for him. He was 10 wks early and I am just beyond thankful that he is HERE and healthy and doing ok. Gender really doesn't matter anymore. :)

KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it'll get much better as you get closer to the end, and have had more time to accept that she's a girl :)

I did something similar when I found out my first was a boy..  But as time went on, I got beyond excited again!!

As for names.. some more traditionally "boy" names.. are GREAT on girls.. just sayin'!!

:o)

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

ramita
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry for the disappoint you have received, but it is normal. Just start thinking about how much fun a girl can be. I mean no little boy could play basketball one day and the next perform in a pageant. Yes there will be tough times, but hey you would've had that no matter what.
Get you a good baby name book and scroll through the names you may find one you love and actually excites you.
Oh and you don't have to do pink in the baby room. You can do purple, pink, yellow, red, multicolored whatever you want. You nay have to do some shopping around to find it, but it can be done.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree about giving yourself a little time. When you are expecting one thing and get another, it takes a little adjustment, but I think you will find lots to be excited about with a little girl.

saintnik88
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM

UPDATE: I LOVE MY BABY GIRL!!!! I CANT IMAGINE LIFE WITHOUT HER=)

msalice_21
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:34 PM
I cried when I found ojt I was having my 3rd boy. I desperately wanted a girl. Everyone did. But im kinda over it now. Shopping still isnt fun though. Its all stuff ive bought before :/
Avarah
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:38 PM

My son's 5 now. When I found out he was a boy I was very disappointed. I remember trying to get myself in the swing of things by going to Carter's to look at cute baby boy clothes and crying and having to leave the store because all the stupid puppies and trains weren't froofy pink fluffy poodles.  :)

Now, from a 5 years later vantage point, I'm so glad he is who he is. 

5 years from now, you'll be so happy she is who she is.  

Promise. :)

MaddieLainesMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I just have to say -- girls are really fun! You might not think you can do the whole girly thing with her, but there are plenty of things you can still do together! Plus, if you were excited for "boy things"  remember that your girl can do many of them too! I'm sure once she gets here you'll be head over heels either way! Good luck mama!

PinkDino
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Give yourself some time, you will adjust.  When you do you will be right back to looking for names and building that registry.  :)

Just sit and feel her moving and kicking, that helped me a lot when I found out I was having a boy and not a girl. I wanted a girl soooo badly.  When I found out I was having a boy I was a little down, but after a week or two, I started to feel happy again just thinking about being a mommy for the first time.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)