Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you have more than 1 dog, I could really use some help.

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 25 Replies

We have a male 18 pound terrier.  DD (visiting) has 20 pound female Corgi. DS (visiting) has 75 pound female (lab/pit mix).  The famales HATE each other. This holiday is becoming a disaster, we have 1 or both crated in different rooms all the time.  It appears to be the Corgi instigating (out of fear, we think) just barks and lunges. The lab/pit is is trying to ignore the situation but is getting so stressed, she just paces. 

Is there anyway to get these 2 dogs to get along?  My male dog gets along with both with no problems.

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jakesmom323
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Just like human females, when they don't get along, there really isn't anything you can do:( When my children came, my female and male dog had such hard transitions from the kids, it was awful:( Neither are here anymore and broke my heart. If you can get a professional trainer to come, hopefully that will help;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
myownparadise
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I doubt there is much that can be done. I have a male Pomeranian and a female APBT. I'm not much help, sorry.
momforever049
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I have always been advised to never trust 2 females together. I have 2 males & 1 female LITTLE dogs. The males occasionally fight over the female. All I have to do is just pic up a spray bottle of water and they stop. My advice is to remove the lab/pit female. You cannot fight Mother Nature. Someone is gonna get hurt no matter what you do....just decide on the level of hurt you can tolerate. Good Luck!! 

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM
3 moms liked this
Why pray tell? The corgi is the one instigating.

Quoting momforever049:

I have always been advised to never trust 2 females together. I have 2 males & 1 female LITTLE dogs. The males occasionally fight over the female. All I have to do is just pic up a spray bottle of water and they stop. My advice is to remove the lab/pit female. You cannot fight Mother Nature. Someone is gonna get hurt no matter what you do....just decide on the level of hurt you can tolerate. Good Luck!! 

3_girls_86
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I'd they're just visiting I'd keep them crated. They're not ised to being around each other.
momforever049
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I love all dogs. I once loved and adored a pit. My reply was only 'bottom line stats.' I want to believe there are no bad dogs....just bad owners of dogs. I used to sell insurance when owning a dog was not even on the application. Things have changed. Somebody did a very mean thing to an adorable, loving and protecting animal. Best babysitter I ever owned :)

trainlady
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:00 AM

It is typical for female dogs to be the leaders in the pack. Males never attack the females. What's going on is the Corgi is trying to be the female of the pack and upsetting the others. You are not going to get the females to get along. The only thing that will settle it is for the two dogs to go at it and fight it out. That is not something you want to do. You are going to have to keep them separated and in the future take one of them to a kennel while you are having your family get together. Nature is ruling here and its best to keep the females separated. If you let them get together at the wrong time and they start in fighting somebody is going to get seriously hurt and that could be a family member as well as one of the dogs. Take no chances and keep them separated and next time make other arrangements.

Tea4Tas
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:06 AM

If the crates are a problem muzzle both of the bitches and let them have at it.  

MY dog is reactive on a leash. OFF leash she is fine,  so we allow her to meet new dogs off leash whenever possible.  You can call her off aggression though.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:12 AM

My guess is that they are being territorial.  I'm not sure much can be done.  Maybe take them out in the yard to play and burn off some energy.  Even if they have to do it separately.

Bax
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Thank you all for your wonderful insight, I really appreciate it.  A few points...

The corgi is the newest addition and was only adopted by my dd 3 months ago.  When dd got the dog (we think she was from a puppy mill), she was completely unsocialized, aggressive with all dogs, and territorial with toys,food, etc.  In the 3 months our dd has had the corgi, she has worked very hard with her and she is like a different dog.  For example she tried to attack our male terrier the first dozen or so times they met and now they play like best friends.  She listens, sits and stays on command, shares a food & water bowl with our dog, etc.

There is no doubt in my mind that 1. the corgi is acting out of fear. You can actually see her shaking, she is so afraid. 2. The pit/lab did everything right. She even laid down in front (both with leashes on either side of the kitchen) and played calm submissive. But the corgi starts with this high pitched barking that I think unnerves the pit/lab and while she never lunged she has shown her teeth.

The corgi is the same way, off leash is so much better, I wonder why that is?

Quoting Tea4Tas:

If the crates are a problem muzzle both of the bitches and let them have at it.  

MY dog is reactive on a leash. OFF leash she is fine,  so we allow her to meet new dogs off leash whenever possible.  You can call her off aggression though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)