Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kids and Leashes

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM
  • 87 Replies

I have 2 under 2. My son is 21mo and when I go places with him and hold his hand he lets go and tries to dart. We went to the zoo the other day and my son darted. So he was confined to a double stroller with his 8mo old sis. Ive had multiple people suggest using the backpack-leash. I dont like the idea of putting my son on a leash, he's not a dog. However I want to enjoy the summer without me chasing my son across a street or him being confined to a stroller, which he hates.Have you used a leash, or know anyone who has? Did it work, or not? Whats your oppinion of parents who use leashes?

I think my son would hate the leash. I'm afraid of people giving me mean looks or comments.

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
danamppz
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I've done it! Get a cute one that is also a backpack. It's necessity for runners. The dirty looks only come from people who haven't gone through the darting stage, others probably look because they understand or are jealous and wish they had their own. I was one to give dirty looks at the leashers- then I became one! Haha but it is a very good safety tool.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cherokeegoddess
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM

it depends on the parent. i was at the zoo one time and this little girl wasn't running or anything she just went a little further than the parent. she was on those backpack leashes. she couldn't have been no more than 3 or 4. her mom yanked on it so hard, she ended up falling on her bottom on the concrete. then her momma cussed her out and said if you would have stayed by me that f***in gwouldn't have happened. then she spanked her. poor baby was already crying anyway. i was like you sorry bitch. i'm surprised that little girl didn't break her tailbone. thank god she had a pullup on and not panties. it would have hurt alot worse. i ended up leaving because i was so infuriated. plus i didn't want a murder charge on my record. lol  i would never use them myself but hey to each their own i guess.

BoxxyBabee
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Quoting danamppz:

I've done it! Get a cute one that is also a backpack. It's necessity for runners. The dirty looks only come from people who haven't gone through the darting stage, others probably look because they understand or are jealous and wish they had their own. I was one to give dirty looks at the leashers- then I became one! Haha but it is a very good safety tool.

Did your child fight it? My son is so independent and strong-willed I think he'd play tug-of-war.

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM
I had the backpack leash I had 2 kids under 2 just like you. My kids had no trouble with them either way I would have done it anyway my oldest was like roadrunner his safety was more important. The back packs were extremely popular at the zoo and amusement parks. My kids liked them better than holding my hand so it was a win win.
jenea2
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I dony do leashes either. My kids know to stay within eye sight. Not saying wwhat someone else does is wrong, just that starting them off early to not run off helped!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Yes and my son adored it.  He wouldn't leave the house without his monkey.  It gives them freedom and safety all at the same time.  I never got a dirty look and actually got numerous compliments.  Your child will only hate it if you do!!  He will pick up on your feelings and conversations!!  If you talk it up like it is the best thing ever he will be fine!

4kidsmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Ohhhhh how I have done this with many many times. I had two babies on the backpack safety harness. I didn't care about other people's views. Because I need ped the sanity of knowing that all my chi,down are safe. And if they questioned me I told them that if they wanted me to that I would let them go and they could chase after them. Very small children don't have the concept or the sense of endangerment. If you decide on going that route please use this around the house maybe the mailbox or on small walks. If you buy it and throw it on your kiddo you might unleash a crazy child. Just sayin...lol. Because they won't be use it. Good luck on your choice. Mind you I have four children they were all under the age of 6. 

moon_girl76
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I used to hate them until I used one on my daughter. My little one likes to go running away from me I bought her a cute one she had a back pack "puppy toy"she love it and so did I. I didn't care about the dirty looks just because once in a grocery store she wont stay in the shopping cart and she will run away from me while putting my grocery in the shopping cart, since then I decided to use it. I rather get dirty looks because of the leash than dirty looks because of my child running away from me and getting lost. People are going to give you the dirty looks either way and if your child gets lost they will blame you instead of the child. "It's the parents that get lost not the child:" I used to hear this all the time from people when working in retail. Mine had a long leash where she can walk or run certain distance,she had a limited freedom which it was good to me.

4kidsmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Ohhhhh and to make it more fun let him choice the animal...they have different ones. I had a monkey, a cat and a dog. Lol

lovinmama411
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM
2 moms liked this

It's no different than strapping your kid in a stroller. At least he is safe and getting exercise. Don't worry about what other people think, if they give you rude looks or comments THEY are the problem, not you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)