Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

The Grand Canyon

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 8 Replies
We are taking a family trip by car at the end of this month to Phoenix from Texas. We are thinking about taking a day trip to see the Grand Canyon. Who has been there? Is it worth the 7-8 hours in the car (total) to see it? Is it toddler friendly? How safe is it? If you drove from Phoenix to there are the roads easy to travel on? I appreciate any feedback you can give so we can get this trip planned! Thanks!
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ddhb2007
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Yes, it's worth the drive. The roads we took to the rim were decent. There are barriers along the edge at the viewing points, but you still need to hang on to them. My daughter was 15 months old when we were there, and she could have slid between the barriers pretty easily.
armyvet06
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM
I love the grand canyon! Its absolutely gorgeous!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Deee6
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM

We did this exact trip from Texas to Phoenix. At the time all 3 of my kids , my husband and I drove. I planned everything online. We stayed at the terrific hotel just right outside of the grand canyon. It was very nice and we planned lots of activites with the kids. Horse back riding trail trip, Hay ride for littles. Grand Canyon film ect.. The trip was long and tireing so take lots of stops if you can. I recommend breaking the trip down in parts. I would not do the Grand Canyon from Phoenix and then drive back. To long in the car for kids. they will love the canyon!

KJH78
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Thank you. Our LO is 3 yrs old. Are these activities at the Grand Canyon or are they something you found outside the area? Was the drive up and back okay?
Quoting Deee6:

We did this exact trip from Texas to Phoenix. At the time all 3 of my kids , my husband and I drove. I planned everything online. We stayed at the terrific hotel just right outside of the grand canyon. It was very nice and we planned lots of activites with the kids. Horse back riding trail trip, Hay ride for littles. Grand Canyon film ect.. The trip was long and tireing so take lots of stops if you can. I recommend breaking the trip down in parts. I would not do the Grand Canyon from Phoenix and then drive back. To long in the car for kids. they will love the canyon!

mommyshere
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I don't think it's very toddler friendly.  When I went, we hiked down into the canyon and I nearly passed out hiking back up! 

It's definitely beautiful and a great place to visit but you won't be able to hike around much with your little one and you'll want to hold onto him/her.  It's easy to get hurt.  The roads were fine.

KJH78
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the feedback!

Quoting mommyshere:

I don't think it's very toddler friendly.  When I went, we hiked down into the canyon and I nearly passed out hiking back up! 

It's definitely beautiful and a great place to visit but you won't be able to hike around much with your little one and you'll want to hold onto him/her.  It's easy to get hurt.  The roads were fine.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Never been there but definitely on the bucket list. I've seen it from an airplane...beautiful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I think I'm scared of heights...I loved the Grand Canyon...but was pretty terrified when my kids and dh went near the edge.  My sister was standing on the edge of rocks with flip flops on...and I was freaking out inside.  In the areas we were at, there was either no fence or a pretty slimsy rail.  I took a 1 yr old, 6 yr old, and 8 yr old from Michigan to SD, CO, NM, and TX.  and back to MI in less than 2 wks.  whew.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)