• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Major Fear Of Dentist :-(

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM
  • 17 Replies

I am thirty and you wouldn't think that a thirty year old would be afraid of the Dentist but yes I am and yes it's driven me to tears and yes I made myself phsycially sick and almost threw up thinking about going to see a Dentist,I have not seen a dentist since last year and before that it was years before I stepped foot in a Dental office,last year I got used to the idea and I was totally fine with seeing a Dentist and I reallized that getting a shot of Novicane is NO BIG DEAL it doesn't even hurt because they give you numbing stuff before poking the needle in,my teeth are jacked up because of my Diabetes and I know I need a teeth cleaning which is OK because that is easy but then I need a SCALING and to be honest I would rather be put to sleep while getting a dental scaling but I know that is not possible,my family member who takes me to my dental visits always makes fun of my fear and I can't help it,I mean then I think if my 8 year old son can get a tooth pulled and not cry about it then a thirty year old woman should NOT cry about seeing the Dentist,maybe it's not the dentist exactly maybe I am afraid of the pain because my Gums are so red and very irrateted and if they poke them a small amount then they will bleed,I wish I didn't have ANY teeth issues,before I had diabetes I didn't,my teeth were FINE...I can't be the only person who has a fear of the Dentist....I remember one time I refused Novicane to get a cavitiy filled because I was terrified about the shot,that was years ago though and I made it through just fine..I KNOW it's all in my head but I can't help feeling like a big time Baby!!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I have a major fear as well and due to that i have major work that needs to be done but havent told them.   Have you tried the laughing gas during the scaling?  It just makes you more relaxed and recovery is within 5 minutes of being put on oxygen to flush it out.

MommyCrooks
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Me too.my anxiety is bad..i probably should get my wisdom teeth pulled but I can't get the nerve to go, I don't have a set Dr. So I'm afraid of picking some incentive wack job again.. I also need to take my son soon for a check up but I get nervous even taking him!:/ .. his dad might have to take him:(
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:42 AM

If you can afford them, Gentle Dental is a good national franchise ( i think) for dentists.   I had my teeth screwed up even more by a state sanctioned place and GD fixed all the mistakes.  That being said, I still have a fear of going back.

Quoting MommyCrooks:

Me too.my anxiety is bad..i probably should get my wisdom teeth pulled but I can't get the nerve to go, I don't have a set Dr. So I'm afraid of picking some incentive wack job again.. I also need to take my son soon for a check up but I get nervous even taking him!:/ .. his dad might have to take him:(

RADmomma
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:57 AM
I have a huge huge fear of the dentist & desperately need to go. But my fear & lack of insurance keep me out
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happy41ce
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:05 AM
We have dental insurance that covers 90% but I'm scared of the place and my teeth are bad bc of it. I have to wait till after I have the baby so I can be put to sleep and get it all done
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I'm afraid of the dentist too. I have to go to the same hygenist every time to get my teeth cleaned. I can't go to a different one every time. She puts this stuff (it's no topical novacaine), it's a toothpaste that helps numb my gums so she can clean.

The dentist I found when we moved to where we live now, uses the water pik to clean teeth, so I listen to the drill sound for the entire time..that's really my fear..the sound of the drill.

Jess821
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:32 AM
I'm afraid to go too. :/
I went last month, finally. I was in sooo much pain that I didn't care anymore. I knew I needed it done. I've needed a root canal for the past 6 years. :/ I had gone to a dentist back then but sge sent me home with two pills and told he to come back the next day and take them 30 min before because I almost passed out. I panicked every time I saw the needle near me lol
I never went back :/ I just chewed on my right side for all these years. And anytime I'd get pain id take some strong pain killers and antibiotics.

I just got tired of dealing with it so I went in last month. Cheek swollen and in major pain.
After he was done I was like "that's it, you're done?" Lol I had him laughing the whole time because I kept asking questions and asking him how much longer. I have two more sessions and my tooth is better. I was so excited to be able to chew on the right side!

It's not that bad, mama! Go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:35 AM

I am with you.  I am 45.  I need to go so bad............but we haven't had dental insurance until recently. I need to get lots of work done, due to my insane fear of dentists. I have near panic attacks.  So I feel and understand your pain.  My fear it due to a traumatic visit when I was like 5 or 6.  I will spare you the details of that dentail visit. Some traumas stay with you for life.  Hang in there and hopefully someone can go with you. My dh is going to go with me so I can be sedated.

MamaDee83
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I used to work at a periodontist - they do a lot of the scalings and of course oral surgeries - and we routinely had people request a calming medication if they were really nervous about a procedure (even a scaling!) See if your dentist will offer this to you - a xanax or something along those lines is what I believe we prescribed. I'm not a fan of the dentist, either, so I feel your pain :(

emmy526
by Emmy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:32 AM

me too...i can't find a dentist that will put me to sleep to fix my teeth tho...it sux cuz i have a bad back and can't sit in the chair for more than 30mins....they keep saying i'll just have to come  in for multiple visits...NO THANKS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)