Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Might have to miss sons college graduation:(

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:09 AM
  • 16 Replies
Hi all

I need to vent. My son is graduating college in may in hawaii. I have my plane tickets and we were all set to go then my husband (sons step dad) got a job transfer and promotion so we are now moving from California to Oklahoma City. I'm excited except we have to be out there may 1st. So now I have to pack and move within 3 weeks and possibly will miss my sons graduation. I feel like a horrible mother. Granted his grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and his father will be there, I'm his mother and I know I should be there. And it wouldn't be possible for me to stay in California and fly over because we can't afford rent on two houses. I feel like I'm making excuses. I really feel lost here and needed to talk about this without judgement. I did talk to my son and told him my situation and he said he understood but of course he's sad. I'm not 100% sure I'm not going yet just needed to get this out. I'm sorry I know my thoughts are all over the place. Thanks for reading.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happy41ce
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:03 AM
3 moms liked this
I would have the stepdad and stepdads family move the stuff. Anything to be able to go
Compactsized
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:13 AM

I agree with happy41ce. I would get anyone and everyone to pack the old house to go to my sons graduation. Your husband and children should understand. Hope everything works out. 

Quoting Julsies:

Hi all

I need to vent. My son is graduating college in may in hawaii. I have my plane tickets and we were all set to go then my husband (sons step dad) got a job transfer and promotion so we are now moving from California to Oklahoma City. I'm excited except we have to be out there may 1st. So now I have to pack and move within 3 weeks and possibly will miss my sons graduation. I feel like a horrible mother. Granted his grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and his father will be there, I'm his mother and I know I should be there. And it wouldn't be possible for me to stay in California and fly over because we can't afford rent on two houses. I feel like I'm making excuses. I really feel lost here and needed to talk about this without judgement. I did talk to my son and told him my situation and he said he understood but of course he's sad. I'm not 100% sure I'm not going yet just needed to get this out. I'm sorry I know my thoughts are all over the place. Thanks for reading.

.OnTheRoadAgain
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

No judgement here. This is a major moment in your sons life, is there anyway that you can get someone to help you pack up. Also can you change your flight from california to hawaii to okc to hawaii?

.stella.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I would go out a bit early and let husband handle moving. Your son may understand, but he will always remember you not going to grad bc of his stepdad and MAY resent that in the future. Im sorry times can be so difficult ;/

Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Have your husband go to Oklahoma City and fly to Hawaii for your sons college graduation. Then you can fly to Oklahoma City and be there and take care of the move after you see him graduate.

Julsies
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM
I was thinking about waiting for me to go to okc until after graduation. I like that idea. Thank you for everyone who responded. I really appreciate it :)
Julsies
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Mobile Photo

PestPatti
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM

My youngest is going to graduate from college next month.    I couldn't imagine missing it.     

If you can, you should figure out a way to do it.  Both you and your son will be disappointed if you don't. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:11 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I agree with this,
I hope you can go to your son's college graduation :)

Quoting happy41ce:

I would have the stepdad and stepdads family move the stuff. Anything to be able to go

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM

If you already bought the tickets and can still afford it, GO. If need be, make the trip shorter so you have more time to move. 3 weeks is plenty of time to pack and move. I know people who have done it in 1 week. Dont waste any time. Start packing everything you are not using now and send it off.... or however you plan to get it there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN