Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you feel?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM
  • 3 Replies

I just got a phone call from my local school district informing me that my daughters school has been in lock down all morning and that the lock down has just now been lifted...WHAT?! Apparently the nearby High School had an unconfirmed bomb threat and that school was evacuated while the nearby schools (5 elementary schools and Jr. High and another High School) where locked down from sometime early in their day till almost 11am. I can respect them not wanting to cause mass coas with parents, but the part that really bothers me is a friend of mine took her daughter to school late (Doc appointment). Mom was not informed that there was a situation and when she took her daughter in the principle met them at the door and informed mom that she was not aloud to come any closer and that now that her daughter was on the grounds she was not to leave...Now, They have given the all clear an classes in all schools are going as scheduled, but my mind is playing the what if game. What if it wasn't all clear, what if something did happen. I can understand that I dropped my child off and that she was placed in lock down having been there before it stated, but this woman had no idea what was going on and took her child to school after it went into affect. How hard would it have been to place all the absent students on a list and given those parents an automated call letting them know that something was going on. How would you/ have you reacted in this situation?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jeweldragons
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I would be pissed that I wasn't notified.

mommyinvt
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Our school district did the same thing a few months back. I was upset at first. Then realized why they do it this way. They would have so many calls and people trying to go pick their kids up it would be awful.

Raine2007
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM

And I can respect that, I really can. I think what gets me is them letting students in after the lock down is in place that kills me. In my mind a lock down should be just that, no one comes in and no one goes out...Maybe that is just me.

Quoting mommyinvt:

Our school district did the same thing a few months back. I was upset at first. Then realized why they do it this way. They would have so many calls and people trying to go pick their kids up it would be awful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)