Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think we make the same mistakes as our parents?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 12 Replies

Most college students go through a stage of rebellious, moral, and social ideals of their parents.  Their rejection is usually dramatic and angry.  The parents are hurt and resentful.  They sacrifice and support their children only to find them turning against everything the family believes in and reveres.

To honor our parents is to recognize that they have fulfilled their responsibility as best they could.  They have made the necessary sacrifices.  They have preserved and improved life where they were able.

Of course, they made mistakes.  So did their parents, and the generation that preceded them.  So will the generation that follows them.  We can recognize these mistakes.  There is no aim at dishonor in the new generation’s striving to be better than the preceding one.  But each generation must be aware of the debt it owes and the foundation that was laid for the children to build a better life.

To honor our parents, then means that we foster a deep recognition of how fortunate we are.  Those who have gone before us have given so much.  Through them we received the gifts that were showered on all mankind.  In honoring our parents we show our gratitude for all creation.

Parents are asked, in return, to live in a way that encourages children to accord honor.  We pay our debt to those who have preceded us by sharing in the continuing creation of a world of peach and harmony for our children.

To honor and be honored are two of life’s greatest joys.  The reverence and esteem we give and receive nourish and heal us.

The world offers lots of phony substitutes for honor:  flattery, prestige, fame, popularity.  We don’t need to settle for poor imitations.  We can give and receive honor in all that we do and say.  True honor comes to us through our work as stewards of the earth, caring for our world and passing it beauty and riches to all those who follow.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM
peach and harmony? lol .... I have seen myself make a few mistakes they have but i apologize and try to do better next time. Overall they were good parents. We had food, shelter, clothing, no abuse towards us, etc.
RosesReally
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

peach and harmony? lol .... I have seen myself make a few mistakes they have but i apologize and try to do better next time. Overall they were good parents. We had food, shelter, clothing, no abuse towards us, etc.

How true

Pink.Frosting
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I agree.

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

No, I haven't seen myself making the same mistakes as my parents. I learned from their mistakes and made my own, brand-new ones to learn from.

krista778
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I try to do everything the opposite from my parents, not out of rebellion but because they were/are shitty parents and their "mistakes" were too great.

spooky415
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM
no. i've definitely made some parenting blunders...but not like my parents. for one, i'll never make my love conditional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I have made mistakes. No mistakes my
Parents made. My mom formula fed. I refuse to give my children an inferior product. My parents made differences in all is kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RosesReally
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

I agree.

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I don't, my parents were horrible parents, I will never make their mistakes. I don't honor people who abandon and abuse their children.

RADmomma
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:09 PM
We all make our own mistakes sometimes. I was lucky enough to have great parents. They didn't make big mistakes,
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)