Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cutting the cord

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 5 Replies

we live in a smallish rural town  an everyone knows everyone kind of place... so what age would you let your kids go solo.... with limitations of course...  example walk up the street to the store, watch a movie with friends at the theater, hang out at the park... that kind f thing... my kids are getting older... and as much as i hate to admit it.... its time for me to release at least some of my grasp... what age do you let go a bit?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM

For that stuff 12-15 yrs old.  I was walking to store in 6th grade though to pick up odds n ends for our house.  Hanging out at park maybe 10 yrs old with a large group of friends whom i know well.

Mrs.Godfrey
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

when i was a kid we had alot of freedom... more than we probably should have... but things are so different now... and most of my friends have either small children or no children so i kinda set my own bar when it comes to the older kids... was curious if i was being realistic or not..i allow my 13 and 12 year olds walk to the store once in a while... but they are always complaining there friends have  cell phones, laptops, no bed times , chores yadda yadda... they all act like i m completely unfair...

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM

My dd will not have a lap top or cellphone either when it comes to that time.  Her bedtime for 7 yrs old is about 9pm and she gets up at 7:30 am.   For teenagers, I would tell them they do not need to sleep but they need to stay in their rooms after a certain time and read/study.   All kids will say their friends do not have to do things whereas they really may have to do them when friends arent around.

Mrs.Godfrey
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM

i allowed my 12 year old to go to the movies today with 2 of her friends... this is where my question had come from... she had gotten some money for her birthday and that it what she wanted to do with it... it took a bit but eventually i agreed that she could... i would bring her there and pick her up (even though the theater is no further than her usual boundries) so that i knew where she was who she waas with and all that...

i started questioning myself when one of the mothers told er daughter she could no longer go with the other girls because i would not be watching the movie with the girls... my oldest will be 14  this year and for his birthday we are finally allowing him a cell phone.. his friends have had them for a couple years i didnt think he was resonsable enough for one...

Nicole1357
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Id say about 12-13

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)