• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need healthy recipes

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hey Ladies!!
I need some new healthy recipes!! I'm looking to lose about 20lbs, and want some yummy, nutritious, HEALTHY recipes! What are some of your faves??!??!
TIA for sharing!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gregsgrl04
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I've googled a ton, but wanted to get recipes people have tried and like ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM
The recipes on skinnytaste.com are great. What kind of things do you like?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I like taking cooked sketti noodles mixed with veggies (cucumbers, tomatoes, etc) in italian dressing. You can also put cheese cubes and pepperoni in it. Olives if you like those. Serve chilled. Love it in the summertime!
gregsgrl04
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:27 PM
That sounds yummy. Thank you :-)

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

I like taking cooked sketti noodles mixed with veggies (cucumbers, tomatoes, etc) in italian dressing. You can also put cheese cubes and pepperoni in it. Olives if you like those. Serve chilled. Love it in the summertime!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I did a good chicken dish tonight -

I've been really getting into my crock pot.

I use chicken thighs, because not only are they the most affordable they're also the preference of my kiddos.  

The chicken falls off the bones, and it's only 4 ingriedients dumped into a crock pot and left to cook until dinner time!

Chicken (I use 8-10 chicken thighs)

1 Jar of Pesto - I like to mix up the pesto I get, sometimes I get plan pesto - other times I buy the jars of pesto that also have other ingreidients.. Today I used a artichoke and spinach pesto.

1 Can of chicken broth

Ranch seasoning packet(s) - 1 or 2 depending on your taste.

I dump 1 can of chicken broth in the bottom of my crock pot, and then I salt and pepper my chicken and place them into the crock pot.  Then take a spoon and spoon the petso onto the chicken and rub it in to cover the chicken.  Then just dump the ranch packet(s) on top and cook on low for 6-7 hours!!

You can also cook on high for 3-4 hours ;)

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

megan71108
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump I'll go find mine.
gregsgrl04
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM
We are a chicken and veggie family. Love to use my crockpot. We don't do much red meat.

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

The recipes on skinnytaste.com are great. What kind of things do you like?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megan71108
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Filling 

2 teaspoons canola oil 
1 small onion, chopped 
1 16-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed 
1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
1 teaspoon dried thyme 
1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth 
3/4 cup nonfat milk 
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley 
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper 
1/4 teaspoon salt

Biscuits 

1 1/4 cups whole-wheat or white whole-wheat flour 
1 cup all-purpose flour 
1 tablespoon baking powder 
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed 
5 tablespoons canola oil 
3/4 cup nonfat milk

1. To prepare filling: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add vegetables; cook, stirring, until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and thyme; stir to coat. Add broth and milk and stir until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in chicken, parsley, pepper and salt. Transfer to a 9-by-13 inch (or 3-quart) baking dish. 
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. 
3. To prepare biscuits: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture begins to look like cornmeal. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Drizzle with milk and mix together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Roll or pat the dough into a 10-by-6-inch rectangle, then cut into 6 biscuits. (Or use a cookie cutter, if you prefer.) Place biscuits on top of the filling with equal space in between (they'll only partially cover the top). 
4. Bake the potpie until it is bubbling around the edges and the biscuits are light brown, 38 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 584 calories; 25 g fat (7 g sat, 11 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrate; 1 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 7 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 658 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (91% daily value), Calcium & Folate (27% dv).
gregsgrl04
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Oh yummy!!!

Quoting megan71108:

Filling 

2 teaspoons canola oil 

1 small onion, chopped 

1 teaspoon dried thyme 

3/4 cup nonfat milk 

1/4 teaspoon salt

Biscuits 

1 cup all-purpose flour 

1 1/2 teaspoons sugar 

1/4 teaspoon salt 

5 tablespoons canola oil 

3/4 cup nonfat milk

1. To prepare filling: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add vegetables; cook, stirring, until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and thyme; stir to coat. Add broth and milk and stir until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in chicken, parsley, pepper and salt. Transfer to a 9-by-13 inch (or 3-quart) baking dish. 

3. To prepare biscuits: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture begins to look like cornmeal. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Drizzle with milk and mix together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Roll or pat the dough into a 10-by-6-inch rectangle, then cut into 6 biscuits. (Or use a cookie cutter, if you prefer.) Place biscuits on top of the filling with equal space in between (they'll only partially cover the top). 

4. Bake the potpie until it is bubbling around the edges and the biscuits are light brown, 38 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Per serving: 584 calories; 25 g fat (7 g sat, 11 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrate; 1 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 7 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 658 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (91% daily value), Calcium & Folate (27% dv).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megan71108
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Its chicken pot pie without all the crust. Just a little bit on the top

Quoting gregsgrl04:

Oh yummy!!!

Quoting megan71108:

Filling 

2 teaspoons canola oil 

1 small onion, chopped 

1 teaspoon dried thyme 

3/4 cup nonfat milk 

1/4 teaspoon salt

Biscuits 

1 cup all-purpose flour 

1 1/2 teaspoons sugar 

1/4 teaspoon salt 

5 tablespoons canola oil 

3/4 cup nonfat milk

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)