Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Someone gave me a bad check what would you do?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM
  • 23 Replies

My DD is in the Daisy (Girl Scouts) and I planned an activity for a fun patch at Build a Bear, a couple people paid check and I deposited them and the rest paid cash. The co leader wasn't at the meeting when the collection for money came up, but her bear had been purchased by me online because it wasn't being sold in stores anymore. I haven't seen her the last few meetings because either she wasn't there or I wasn't there. My DH took my DD to an event and said something to her about the Build a Bear and she gave him a check. I decided to just go to her bank since it was right next to mine. I went to cash it and the teller said it couldn't be cashed at this time. I'm pretty sure it was insufficent funds but they aren't allowed to tell someone that and I doubt there would be a stop payment, but the teller said maybe I should contact her. Her DD has already received the unstuffed bear as I gave it to her husband at another event. Should I continue to hold the check and try cashing a couple more times or should I email  her telling her the check isn't good?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daytonbaby210
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I would email her personally and just say the check is not good but that is just me. I mean she needs to pay.

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Hmm, I would let her know that it didn't go through. I am pretty sure if you keep trying to cash it that they could charge her so I would just tell her that it didn't work and see what she says.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acollins09
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I would discreetly mention it.  

Aislinn
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Contact the person who cut the check. Accidents happen. Now, if she does not come good on the check? I may call law enforcement.

mommyshere
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Just tell her what the bank said and ask her what you should do.

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Quoting daytonbaby210:

I would email her personally and just say the check is not good but that is just me. I mean she needs to pay.

Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Don't think I will call law enforcement for $33.50, but that is just me.

Quoting Aislinn:

Contact the person who cut the check. Accidents happen. Now, if she does not come good on the check? I may call law enforcement.

Aislinn
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Alyssasmommy412:

Don't think I will call law enforcement for $33.50, but that is just me.

Quoting Aislinn:

First, you did not note the amount of money and two, if you want to condone stealing, that is on you. I would give ample time for them to make it right, but negotiating with a worthless instrument is illegal.

Aislinn
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

That is why I also said "may"..

EvaTheDiva29
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM

i would email her. thats shitty thing to do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)