Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Room cleaning

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 6 Replies
I am in need of some help!!! My almost 9 year old will NOT clean up after herself... Her room is gross..... Dirty clothes on floor, won't put clean clothes away, papers everywhere, etc. I have cleaned it several times only for it to return to this a week or so later. She knows that this is not ok, and had the proper means of keeping up.... Hamper , trash can, etc. I have tried everything I can think of and need some help! Please don't say that I should do it as I think at this age she is capable and honestly with work and all other household chores there is not time.
Thanks in advance!
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
FIREFOX1336
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Bag everything that is on the floor and make her earn each item back by doing chores around the house.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Tell her if it is on the floor than it will be garbage and bag it up and toss it out.  Restrict tv time, computer time, phone time, time with friends.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM

What is the consequence for her not doing it? does she lose a privelege , get grounded from activities?  There needs to be consequences for not listening to you and not doing a household task in a timely manner. I would take out all clothing but 3 outfits for the week.  IF she can not care properly for them she does not need them all at her hands.  3 outfits should fit one drawer and be manageable for her to put away.  What kind of papers are all over the place?  Homework, school news letters, pen pal letters, etc?  For all the unimportant papers , I would just have her throw them away.   If i am feeling a bit grumpier than usual, I will put my hand over my dd's hand to have her pick things up as if she were a toddler.  She is 7 and gets the message quick.

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:31 AM

i am conflicted on this subject.

hugs

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:32 AM

i did not make my kids clean up their rooms as children. they both as adults are much neater and cleaner than me. i have read that.... nevermind.

i feel you.

hugs

loupsgarou333
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Mine is 8 and sounds EXACTLY the same way!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)