Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Target Dress Apology: Our Bad, Fat People!

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM
  • 40 Replies

Target Dress Apology: Our Bad, Fat People!

by at .  Updated at .

Google
  • Stumble

Comments

Target has been forced to issue an apology after a rather embarrassing marketing snafu.

As noted by an online shopper named Susan Clemens, who Tweeted her discovery to the company, Target listed the same dress twice on its official website this week:

Once in a standard size described as "heather gray," the other in a plus-size described as "manatee gray."

OOPS!

Target Dress Pic

Jessica Deede referred to the incident as an "unintended oversight" and told Today:

“We never want to offend any of our guests. We apologize for any discomfort that we may have caused."

Manatee Gray, it should be mentioned, does appear across the Target catalog in a number of products, not all of which are intended for overweight patrons.

Target has removed the plus-size versions of the outfit from its site and Deede says the retailer will use this as a "learning experience," adding:

“We are in the process of fixing the discrepancy and updating Target.com so the gray dress will be available in all styles. We’re working on updating our systems right now.”

- See more at: http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2013/04/target-dress-apology-our-bad-fat-people/#sthash.FH2s6cZZ.dpuf

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM
14 moms liked this
Really?! That's like me getting upset if I order something XS and it's description is "bone white"... You know since everyone says I'm nothing but skin and bones. People are so sensitive!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessy613
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:11 AM

lol I agree.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Really?! That's like me getting upset if I order something XS and it's description is "bone white"... You know since everyone says I'm nothing but skin and bones. People are so sensitive!

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM
5 moms liked this
I'd rather have manatee gray...it's cheaper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Who cares what the color is called?  If it looks good on you, you won't look like a Manatee.  Maybe a Heather, but I'm not sure what a Heather is supposed to look like?  I guess a skinny girl is a dark grey dress?

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Susan, the customer who made a big deal about this, has too much time on her hands and may be a bit insecure.

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM

People get offended over everything these days.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I'd rather have manatee gray...it's cheaper.

That was my first thought. Why is the bigger dress cheaper?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

MamaRae85
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

"Toothpick Tan"! "String Bean Green", "Flagpole Silver".

Then, you can do "Rhino Gray", "Whale Blue", "Parade Balloon Red"!

Seriously, I thought that was hilarious, and not only am I plus-sized (read: fat), I'm also pregnant!

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Glitchtastic
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Manatee are cute. ^_^ I wouldn't be offended.

EvaTheDiva29
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM

LOL! manatee.......*snort*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)