Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Minimum wage.

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM
  • 92 Replies

I just don't get it. How do people live off of minimum wage jobs? I mean apartments, food everything is so expensiv. I am horrible with money. Do u think you could live off of minimum wage? I mean for people who do live of minimum wage how do u do it? What state do u live in and how much is minimum wage?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM

BUMP!

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Well actually work for less than minimum wage doing in home daycare and how do I do it.  I work 2 jobs and my husband works full time. 

aka_speezolove
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

We do live on it. The only way we make ends meet is with PA. I hate it. We were doing better, but DH lost his job so he took what he could and now we are really struggling. I am proud of him for not being "too good" to take what he could get, but it is hard.

veganistic
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM
As a single mom, no, I couldn't, unless i had child care assistance and probably food stamps to help with groceries. Luckily i just bought a house and my payment is very low. If i were renting a two or three bedroom i don't think i could come close to managing and I'd have to live with family or a room mate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xanayda
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

No, we could not. My husband make a few dollars more than min wage (which i think is $7.25 here) and we have to use fs to help us out, BUT good news is i just found a JOB!! woohoo, so we'll be doing good in about a month or so. :)

SpnFulOfSugar
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM
No way
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Blessedlife79
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:51 PM

We make almost $50,000 and only have a few hundred left a month after bills. So no, we could not live off of min wage.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Our min. wage is above the countrys average or set minimum wage.   I am not sure if i could afford what all i need if i had a job and my guy did not bring in money.   You need a strict budget to manage money so you do not let bills lapse.  I see alot of people spending money on big ticket items because they want them and not pay their bills.  That is foolish to me.

aj23
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Before I had my son I easily lived off minimum wage. I lived in a cheap one bedroom and didn't eat much but I did it. Now with him there's no way I could without some sort of PA.

dougiesmom
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM

An annual salary on minimum wage would be $15,080 ($7.25/hour). My husband makes about $40K a year and we barely make ends meet, but a lot of that is our own fault (credit card bills, too big of a house payment, etc). Once we're debt free, we'll be living high on the hog, so to speak. (Current plan has us debt free except our house in under 2 years, but we keep having setbacks, so probably more like 3 years now.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN